• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Converting Motorola Radius GM300 to amplifier

8113 Northern MN

Aug 9, 2013
Virginia,MN
I recently came into a nice batch of old VHF radios used in a schools bus system. I have a bunch of base stations and a number of smaller Motorola Radius GM300s. Not sure if anyone has ever tried, but is it possible to take the amp portion of this radio and convert it into easy use as a small amp for non-vhf use?

2cfla8

http://prntscr.com/2cfla8

on the left side is the RX side of the amp and the left is the TX as printed on the board. Any simple way to just incorporate this into the line to make a small amp?

I recently came into a nice batch of old VHF radios used in a schools bus system. I have a bunch of base stations and a number of smaller Motorola Radius GM300s. Not sure if anyone has ever tried, but is it possible to take the amp portion of this radio and convert it into easy use as a small amp for non-vhf use?

You cannot use them for anything other than VHF. That is what the PC board and components are designed and tuned for. Even the circuit traces for part of the tuning.

2cfla8

Screenshot by Lightshot

on the left side is the RX side of the amp and the left is the TX as printed on the board. Any simple way to just incorporate this into the line to make a small amp?

If you know what you are doing you can remove the power amp and house it in a separate enclosure and add switching to make a small VHF amp. When I first got my ham ticket all I had was a 2m HT. I removed the rear mounted 30 watt power amp from an old Marconi DT-56 mobile radio and made it into a 30 watt amp for my HT. It worked well until I bought an Icom mobile radio a couple years later. Some folks have split the RX and TX and made them into a repeater or used two separate radios for that. Lots of uses for them if you know what you are doing and have some time to spend.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.