• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Corrosive glue and LC slug

Cruiseomatic

Dark side of the Sun.
Dec 28, 2011
I keep hearing about this "glue" that when it gets old, It gets hard, corrosive, and some what conductive after years of age. I know it looks brown with age but what does it look like new? I sent two radios off to have it removed and they both came back with just the large chunks missing with residual still on caps, a filter, and board.... It was replaced with on one, Hot glue. The other, He used bees wax. Both in the same places. However, He left the same places on both with it. Heres what they look like.
The blob under the board is something else. White/yellow-ish paste muck. Thats in a couple places. Did he actually remove all of it or what is going on? Bad enough I paid him for a FULL alignment but modulation is stuck at 60 and getting kicked down to 40 and so its keeping pep down aswell when it was specified full performance and modulation.... Oh, and they're off by one or two hundred hertz. One is off by two, the other, One. Emailed him yesterday about it and my missing bracket screws.... Nothing yet.

The LC slug is on my 68Elite. I bought this little radio as a floor model at frys when Uniden quit production. That slug has never been touched yet is THAT high... It works great and gets great audio reports for having its limiter diode cut. Its getting replaced. Does about 15 PEP from a IRF 2078. I know to high it will cause harmonics but I've never noticed any. Should I leave it or have it checked when I have the rest of this one done? It also has some grey rubbery type stuff on the WX board...
So, What did this guy really do? Or didn't do.

19225284_1680716732235141_5466154869933233840_n.jpg 19113799_1680717408901740_277270697150467028_n.jpg 19225154_1680716455568502_3318408316095874607_n.jpg 19225182_1680735255566622_2082742553462447381_n.jpg

its not that hard to remove that glue just have to have time and paitience. as for the alignment i would return it to the tech and have it redo it .

Leave the glue there. It adds stability to larger components like capacitors when the radio is subjected to shock and vibration as in a mobile environment. The sealant on most inductors can be removed using heat from a soldering iron.

Reactions: LeapFrog
Wait until you see it eat through a resistor leg, you may reconsider what some of this glue is capable of, years later that is. (I'm sure the Asian factory made some batches less corrosive haha)

Oh and they used wax, (from bees?) to cover the slugs and keep VCO area more stable.
If I say I've never damaged something removing that God-awful stuff, i'd be a liar.

Rule of thumb on that stuff, if it's not touching METAL you can leave it in place...
Otherwise the potential for corrosion is there after time.

Wait until you see it eat through a resistor leg, you may reconsider what some of this glue is capable of, years later that is. (I'm sure the Asian factory made some batches less corrosive haha)

Oh and they used wax, (from bees?) to cover the slugs and keep VCO area more stable.
If I say I've never damaged something removing that God-awful stuff, i'd be a liar.

Exactly. I don't want to have a failure years later with a unobtainim part because that glue....

Exactly. I don't want to have a failure years later with a unobtainim part because that glue....

They made some radios with this stuff on everything, makes it easy for assembly.

Look for transistor legs or component leads in general, if it's in contact with plastic don't worry about that, only the metal leads can get "eaten through".

My personal experience has been that the glue on top of ferrite material is okay, if not touching the metal lead. I often find (in 30+ year old radios) that where they glued the transistor (with a ferrite bead over one leg) the glue ate through a lead, I had one transistor fall apart at the leads...

I keep hearing about this "glue" that when it gets old, It gets hard, corrosive, and some what conductive after years of age. I know it looks brown with age but what does it look like new? I sent two radios off to have it removed and they both came back with just the large chunks missing with residual still on caps, a filter, and board.... It was replaced with on one, Hot glue. The other, He used bees wax. Both in the same places. However, He left the same places on both with it. Heres what they look like.
The blob under the board is something else. White/yellow-ish paste muck. Thats in a couple places. Did he actually remove all of it or what is going on? Bad enough I paid him for a FULL alignment but modulation is stuck at 60 and getting kicked down to 40 and so its keeping pep down aswell when it was specified full performance and modulation.... Oh, and they're off by one or two hundred hertz. One is off by two, the other, One. Emailed him yesterday about it and my missing bracket screws.... Nothing yet.

The LC slug is on my 68Elite. I bought this little radio as a floor model at frys when Uniden quit production. That slug has never been touched yet is THAT high... It works great and gets great audio reports for having its limiter diode cut. Its getting replaced. Does about 15 PEP from a IRF 2078. I know to high it will cause harmonics but I've never noticed any. Should I leave it or have it checked when I have the rest of this one done? It also has some grey rubbery type stuff on the WX board...
So, What did this guy really do? Or didn't do.

View attachment 20920 View attachment 20921 View attachment 20922 View attachment 20923
Looking through the photos, your Tech did a great job, I don't see any areas that need more glue removed. One spot by L50 has glue on the ferrite, maybe not on any metal it's hard to tell.

The "tuning slug by the final" has a varnish or protective non conductive coating on it, the glue shouldn't bother that, i'd say anyway.

As far as the modulation, a whole book could be written on the subject of CB and modulation...

You give one person a clipped radio, they hate you for it, you are known as a screwdriver...
(someone else may love it, that loud tree top tall stuff...)

You give another person a factory alignment and it's too quiet, tech must not know how to.. blah blah (again, someone else might love a super clean radio, even if quiet)

So unless people are very clear on what they want, they may not get what they "need".
Sorry you've had a bad experience, but i'm glad you didn't get a truck stop "tune"..

Last edited:
Reactions: kaos513
Well I have bought many radios that should have been trashed, all I can say is the environment it's kept in, and the composition of glue used, is what matters.

I'm not saying it happens to any and all radios, but I'm sure Mr. Carlson has mentioned before, the problems associated with this glue.

L50 is on another radio that is inline for a full servicing.
I wouldn't say "bad" experience but in the emails, 100% modulation was specified from him. Other than the low modulation issue and my thinking of how I wanted the glue removal done (Completely) and his way of thinking what does and doesn't need removed being different, Combined with piss poor communication from him makes it worse than what it is. My RX audio is perfect, his work is clean, He does it fast, Just can't email worth a damn or answer a phone, lol.

Well I have bought many radios that should have been trashed, all I can say is the environment it's kept in, and the composition of glue used, is what matters.

I'm not saying it happens to any and all radios, but I'm sure Mr. Carlson has mentioned before, the problems associated with this glue.

Thats true. I got a Cobra 142 that is dead now because of where it was stored for who knows how long. It was a disgusting environment to say the least that stayed damp and hot all summer and cold all winter with a leaky roof above it in a room full of other radios.... It would take to much to bring it back...

L50 is on another radio that is inline for a full servicing.
I wouldn't say "bad" experience but in the emails, 100% modulation was specified from him. Other than the low modulation issue and my thinking of how I wanted the glue removal done (Completely) and his way of thinking what does and doesn't need removed being different, Combined with piss poor communication from him makes it worse than what it is. My RX audio is perfect, his work is clean, He does it fast, Just can't email worth a damn or answer a phone, lol.
Lol at the emails it's not everyone's cup of tea or choice of communication, and right on brother.

Sorry to hear about the 142, they are nice when they have been taken care of.
It's always a sad realization that something (no matter how classic) is not worth to restore, some cars for example would be nice to have (once restored), but some people literally sell houses to get car restored, and so many potential oldies end up rotting and rusting away.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated