• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Corrosive glue and LC slug

Well I have bought many radios that should have been trashed, all I can say is the environment it's kept in, and the composition of glue used, is what matters.

I'm not saying it happens to any and all radios, but I'm sure Mr. Carlson has mentioned before, the problems associated with this glue.

High humidity is not good for electronics at all whether it has any type of glue on the boards or not.

Reactions: LeapFrog
Thats true. I got a Cobra 142 that is dead now because of where it was stored for who knows how long. It was a disgusting environment to say the least that stayed damp and hot all summer and cold all winter with a leaky roof above it in a room full of other radios.... It would take to much to bring it back...

In that environment glue on the board would be about the least of your worries.

In that environment glue on the board would be about the least of your worries.

It, A Realistic, And a SBE Console V were in the haul. All 3 came from the back room of a shop in a abandoned condition mobile home. It was known as the junkyard and all were wrote off. The SBE cleaned up very nicely and does work to a point. Goes full squelch when turned on. Has some BAD solder work on a ribbon cable running the LCD display though. But anyone with the right tools and bench could clean it right up. I currently aren't able to have a bench setup. Momma bear and I are looking at getting a house either late this month or next month. Current owner is in hospital so its been delayed.

Lol at the emails it's not everyone's cup of tea or choice of communication, and right on brother.

Sorry to hear about the 142, they are nice when they have been taken care of.
It's always a sad realization that something (no matter how classic) is not worth to restore, some cars for example would be nice to have (once restored), but some people literally sell houses to get car restored, and so many potential oldies end up rotting and rusting away.

I tried calling as i'm a phone person when ordering work done myself. He doesn't answer hardly and has a full voicemail. The 142's are nice. I ordered one off fleabay and should have it by the second coming of christ if fedex moves at their normal rate.... Buyers should have the option of who ships and how fast. Not sellers. Once I get it and inspect it, off to the same tech who did my last two for a full custom build up and restoration. Not stupid custom like echos and blinking color changing lights either. Once the full restoration and alignment is done, I'm having him install a WX board integrated into the radio like it was factory, LED meter lights with adjustable dimmer, Bluetooth capabilities for playing phone audio through internal or external speakers since phone speakers blow, internal freq counter doubling as clock (hopefully). Some other things I can't think of now but it will be a all in one true base radio with full function and not many looks.

There are three main types of 'adhesive' you will find inside CB radios.

First is bees wax. it's used around the PLL, the VCO, and other temperature sensitive areas in order to keep them more stable.
It also gets dripped into tuning cans and along side parts that might vibrate or otherwise move around.
This stuff is harmless, and needs to be in the places you find it, so put it back whenever you remove any. (you can buy a lifetime supply on ebay for cheap. look for the food grade stuff)
If you are from an area that gets hot, and you find a bunch of it on the inside bottom case of your radio, scrape it off and put it back on the PC board where it came from.

the second is a contact cement that looks like a brown rubber cement. you can tell this stuff because it looks 'stretchy' and you can tell that it has a 'gummy' quality to it.

look up a product called "Barge contact cement" to get a closer look at what it looks like.
Again, this is fine and does not need to be removed.

The third kind is called "SonyBond" and it is the bane of any 70's era electronics restorer. (ironically this stuff was not used in any Sony products. hmmm...)

This stuff can be identified by it's visual similarity to a product called 'Liquid Nails' that is usually dispensed from a caulking gun. I'm fairly certain everyone around here is familiar with that product.

This stuff starts out looking yellowish, kind of mucus colored. It's easy to identify by trying to push a small screwdriver into it. It is hard and won't budge.
(This is the stuff seen in Cruiseomatic's 2nd 3rd and 4th photos)

as this stuff gets old, it starts to turn darker and darker brown, and if it's touching any metal, you will eventually start seeing green corrosion there.
(this stuff is NOTORIOUS for eating IC pins and transistor leads. there are plenty of MB8719's in the trash because of this crap)

If you have this stuff in your radio, you need to get it out. The only thing i've found that works on it is a product called "GC Radio TV solvent". (didn't come up with this one, was told by others about it)

MikesRadioRepair has a youtube video on it that is worth watching.

To me, the fact that Uniden or anyone else is still using this stuff is crazy.
It's bad qualities have been known for a long time and my only guess is that they know full well what effects it will eventually have on a radio.

hope this helps.
LC

Not having any solvent makes removal a pain like none other. Got 98% out but alot of it went down into the holes for component legs. Sending it off to Mike for it to be finished. Also seen it has some scratches on the PCB silkscreen so I put some clear nail polish to cover the bare copper. After having a hard life and high miles, I'm just having him do a restoration on it. Looks great on the outside but inside is different. One slug is turned almost completely out, another is missing, The alignment is off, Still has loose glue dust, PCB is scratched, Etc... She'll clean up nice though.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.