• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Current Amplifier Mods

dss56

Sep 27, 2010
Are there any good sites for mods to the newer current Linear Amps?
Texas Star Pal and etc.

I have been looking most of the day on net and can't seem to find any with all the different models out there.

thanks

For the most part amplifiers are what they are, they either work as designed or they don't. It's not like a radio where you can do audio and swing mods and yield large gains. That said I suppose there are amp builders that have some tricks up their sleeve. I know Peakaboo used to do some work to Texas Star amplifiers. He would regulate the AB bias, add some caps, a fan system, and maybe heavier gage feed wire. I'm sure he did some other stuff as well. You will probably have to check with an amp builder.

what i'm looking for is I have been reading that to get the Texas star to work on other bands you have to remove an oscillator board to work on other bands other than the 10 meter.

I was wondering if some of the other amps Palomar-messnger and other current amps need to be modded for out of band transmitting also and if there is a site for these mods as there is for most Export 10 meter Radios.

thanks

the mod for the texas star amps is to get them to work on CB frequencies which is 11 meters.
they will not work on other bands as far as i know.

here is a link to that mod:
Untitled Document

every texas star amp that ive seen did not need any conversion at all to work on CB freqs. the ones that need the mod seem to be very rare.

palomar and messenger amps wont need a conversion to work on CB freqs.

the reason some texas star amps do is because they are sold as CW transmitters to maintain legal status.

if you open up your amp and you see a crystal in it, you need the mod, if you dont; you dont.
LC

Thanks for the information on the amps. Yes I want them to work on the 11 meter band.

you need the mod for all new amps

when purchaseing a new texas star in the box cw transmitter, some sites will ask you if you want it converted to cb. usually the cost is $30, and it will arrive ready to use on the 11 meter band. some sites assume that you know how to do a mod and the unit comes in the box as a 10 meter cw transmitter. no matter what, if you are buying a new texas star 10 meter transmitter they hve to be converted by the shop or you.

Thats pretty much it right there. Texas Star legally makes CW transmitters.......wink wink. Right out of the box thats all they are before you or the shop converts them for 11m use.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated