• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cushcraft or diamond antennas

:D the one HH just recommended is what i use. i can hear MM all the way to milw. and it is only up 36' at the base. I am thinking about getting a comet GP 15 though because a tri band since i don't have a 6 mtr. vert.

nice antenna
i use the comet GP-9 (electriclly is same as diamond X510)

when hooking my T-90 HT i hit repeaters 80 miles away easily
(is mounted at 52 or 54 ft at base)

if it ever fails or breaks i will replace with
Diamond X700H (a bit taller at 24 feet)

otherwise looks same as X510

X700H
144/430MHz(2m/70cm)
Gain:9.3dB(144MHz),13.0dB(430MHz) / Max. power rating:200W / Impedance:50ohms / VSWR:Less than 1.5:1
Length:7.2m / Radial length:approx. 52cm / Weight:3.8kg / Rated wind velocity:40m/sec
Mast diameter accepted:30mm to 62mm(More than 45mm diameter mast is recommended) / Connector:N
Type:4 x 5/8wave C-Load(144MHz),11 x 5/8wave C-Load(430MHz),FRP outershell

FWIW ... and that's not going to be much, cuz it's sort of more of the same old thing.
What will make more difference on VHF than the particular type/brand of antenna will be it's height. That's also one of those 'depends on where you live' sort of thingys too. If you live at the base of a tall cliff, you got problems in at least one direction. If you live in the middle of a huge flat area, you might still have a problem, but nothing like the cliff thingy. See where I'm going with this? You do? Dang! We're both genius's.
And naturally, once you've got that antenna at some stratospheric height, making it a super high gain thingy certainly won't hurt. But it won't 'help' as much as the height will. As frequency increases so does the 'best' height for an antenna. The 'increases' in height will be more apparent at higher frequencies than at lower ones. An increase of 10 feet at 160 meters won't even make an antenna itch. At 2 meters and above, it can make a sort of surprising difference at times.
At VHF/UHF is where the 'kind' of feed line really can make a difference. Opt for the bestest you can afford without taking out a bank loan. ('Best' means low loss, not brand.)
Nothing 'new' here at all, just a reminder.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.