• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

D-104 HELP! (non technical)

d1g1man

Feb 25, 2008
Hi everyone, I don't know alot about the Astatic D-104's history,
So hopefully you can help me out.

I want to know which of the mics HAVE the key up tones and roger beeps? in them.

Sorry if I don't have the names right, this is why I am asking!

I THINK it might be the Silver K Eagles.. I am clueless.

Thanks!

The Silver K Eagle & Night K Eagle have a selectable 'K' or Multitone roger beep. I also have a 'plain jane' chrome D104 that has a single tone roger beep in it. Those are the only ones I know of, but I'm sure there are others...

As stated the "K" Eagles have the ETS (Beep) Any others have been added by a 3rd party. This of course does not include the Echo mike/box.

Actually the 'plain jane' chrome D104 I have came from Astatic with the roger beep. It is built right into the circuit board and has the switches under the base just like the 'K' mucrophones. I have heard some people refer to them as a 'D104 Plus' but I don't know if that's the official name of them or not. I have to get into my storage anyway so I'll dig it out at the same time and post a couple pics of it... ;)

'D104 Plus' but I don't know if that's the official name of them or not. I have to get into my storage anyway so I'll dig it out at the same time and post a couple pics of it... ;)

In my 37 years in radio, have never seen one, love to see some pics, outside and in. Please share when you have time. (y)

I finally got around to digging the mic out of my storage room, but my memory isn't quite as good as it used to be. The mic isn't completely chrome - it has a black neck. Anyway, here are a few pics that show the difference between it and a silver/night k eagle:

This is a pic of the board in my silver k eagle:

d104skeboard.jpg

Here's a pic of the board in the d104 with a single tone roger beep:

d104bottom.jpg

Here's a close up of it - I accidently reversed the order of the vox and 20db pad positions when I put it on the pic:

d104pcbbottom.jpg

And here's a close up of the top side of the board showing the roger beep module:

d104pcbtop.jpg

Here's pics of the front and back of the mic:

d104front.jpg
d104back.jpg

I got this mic several years ago when I purchased a radio from one of the locals. I have only seen a couple others (on FeePay) that have the single tone roger beep. Since you have never seen one in 37 years then they must uncommon?

Reactions: Sonar
Yes definitely uncommon, my guess would be an early release that eventually turned into the K eagles... Very cool piece of CB history, thanks for sharing the pics...(y)

In my 37 years in radio, have never seen one, love to see some pics, outside and in. Please share when you have time. (y)
Actually there is one other silver k eagle mine has the switches on the bottom but only has the single tone ets if I had known I wouldnt have bought it

I finally got around to digging the mic out of my storage room, but my memory isn't quite as good as it used to be. The mic isn't completely chrome - it has a black neck. Anyway, here are a few pics that show the difference between it and a silver/night k eagle:

This is a pic of the board in my silver k eagle:

d104skeboard.jpg

Here's a pic of the board in the d104 with a single tone roger beep:

d104bottom.jpg

Here's a close up of it - I accidently reversed the order of the vox and 20db pad positions when I put it on the pic:

d104pcbbottom.jpg

And here's a close up of the top side of the board showing the roger beep module:

d104pcbtop.jpg

Here's pics of the front and back of the mic:

d104front.jpg
d104back.jpg

I got this mic several years ago when I purchased a radio from one of the locals. I have only seen a couple others (on FeePay) that have the single tone roger beep. Since you have never seen one in 37 years then they must uncommon?
Mine also only has the single tone beep

Actually the 'plain jane' chrome D104 I have came from Astatic with the roger beep. It is built right into the circuit board and has the switches under the base just like the 'K' mucrophones. I have heard some people refer to them as a 'D104 Plus' but I don't know if that's the official name of them or not. I have to get into my storage anyway so I'll dig it out at the same time and post a couple pics of it... ;)

Hi guys,

Yes there is a Silver Eagle with a factory single beep. It's called the Silver Eagle Plus. I have a local friend who has one. He states he got it new in 1964 but I don't know about that. I wasn't aware that any Silver Eagle dated back that far but I'm taking his word for it. Makes me want to find a "History" of the D 104 on the net somewhere....guess I'll truck my ass off to googly and look for one. If there's not one....somebody should write one. Damn somebody's !!!

There is a Wikipedia page for Astatic but it's not comprehensive. It does say that the Amplified models 1st appeared in 1960 so it's possible the SE Plus was available in '64.

Astatic is still in biz so I'm going to write their customer service and see if they can point me to a D 104 history. Yeah...good luck to me with that. I'll let you monkeys know what they say.

Last edited:
Silver Eagle Plus

I have a SE "Plus". 3 switches in the bottom: ETS, -20 db pad, VOX. It has a sticker on the head marked "Silver Eagle Plus"(where the tag used to be rivited on). The board is TOTALLY Different(than others I have(had). There's no contacts at all for switching(its a small relay on the board) right now my relay is sticking(battery gets hot,ETS Goes off when switched on/off etc) haven't looked into it to much yet.it was bought new (around) 1989.i do know when the battery gets weak, it keys(into transmit) and then won't unkey(into receive)

I have a SE "Plus". 3 switches in the bottom: ETS, -20 db pad, VOX. It has a sticker on the head marked "Silver Eagle Plus"(where the tag used to be rivited on). The board is TOTALLY Different(than others I have(had). There's no contacts at all for switching(its a small relay on the board) right now my relay is sticking(battery gets hot,ETS Goes off when switched on/off etc) haven't looked into it to much yet.it was bought new (around) 1989.i do know when the battery gets weak, it keys(into transmit) and then won't unkey(into receive)

About the only way a 9 volt battery will get hot is if there is a short or very low resistance across it. It could be anything from a solder blob across the circuit traces to a shorted transistor. I think those mics even have an IC in them for the roger beep tone. If it's a shorted component you may be able to detect heat on that part if the battery can dump enough current into the part.

Just wanted you guys to know that back in the early 90's I had a Silver Eagle Plus with a single tone Roger Beep in it... According to the paperwork they (Astatic) claimed it was the same ETS used by NASA.... I loved that mic... Wish I still had it and my Cobra 2000....

I tell all D-104 owners that you need to replace the single electrolytic capacitor on the amp board due to the age of these mics. If that cap is dried out, the mic will sound like crap and people will blame the element and that may not be bad. Easy fix and the cap is just a buck or two. (amplified D-104s)

Reactions: Sonar
KD8HMO, i would like to add one step to your list of D104 refurbishing.
using a cigarette lighter, wave a flame back and forth over the wax that connects the internal element to the foil cone on the element. don't burn it, just keep waving back and forth until the wax softens, and then just let it cool.

many people will automatically assume that their element is bad when it starts sounding tinny and crappy, and will remove it and throw it away. they they will replace it with one of the modern replacement kits.

I've been preaching this for years in an attempt to keep as many D104 mic elements out of the trash as i can! talk about being made of unobtanium!
LC

Reactions: Sonar and PA629

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.