• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

D&A PHANTOM TRIPLE STAGE Question

A good local friend of mine has a old Triple Stage D&A PDX 400, I believe it's a 10 tuber 1 x 3 x 6 I think.... It is a nice old amp. He got it for about $200, in working order, but only doing about 500-600 watts, all it needed was a new driver tube, the original was beat up pretty hard I guess with too much input drive, so he got one off Ebay "used tested good" and I think he may have spent $25 on that tube and now it's full output, with a RCI-2950 on SSB driving it does about 800-1000 watts. He doesn't run it much, because he is on a hill, and on a beam at 55' so he can do most talking just with the radio power. So with him only turning it on now and then, I'd say it will last a long time and for the investment in it, he's made the right choice to buy it. A because it's functional 1KW amp, B because it's a nice old piece of history.

Tune up instructions for this amp can be found with Google if I remember correctly, also check YouTube, you would be surprised how many radio hobby related videos you will find there.

I just picked up a clean D&A phantom triple stage amp. First of all I've read the tune up directions and cannot for the life of the amp get anymore than 200w from this thing. I've read on multiple sites that there is a grid tune on the back of the amp, well there is none..not even a spot for one. This is a tan/brown D&A, not sure if it's older/newer. I am driving it with my Cobra 2000 which i can dead key 2-4 watts and swings about 20w, yet the Phantom does not swing at all. Could it be bad tubes?

I have the Grey chassis version of the D&A Phantom Triple Stage 10 tuber..

Band switch set to 10, 250w switch OFF, high/low switch in HIGH position, then do the (2) tune knobs/load/driver tune for peak reading on amp meter (left meter) using the 'auuuuuuuudio' technique. keying 1 watt peaking 20 from my Cobra 148F-GTL, I get 1000 watts easy. Mine has a Grid Tune knob on the back.. it sets the SWR for the INPUT of the unit (use the internal SWR meter on your radio to set it to minimum)

unit 512

Dont deal with this dweebe,hes the a-hole that took my radio.I wouldnt tell this scum bag a thing.I will be going up there soon to talk to him about it too.Road trip from Missouri to RI.Not the radio,it the idea.

Who's the A-hole in Ri that's where I'm at an want to make sure I stay clear of him . Just my luck someone will refer me to him ,as I have been looking for a person to freshen my solid state amp .

Sent from my NB09 using Tapatalk

No Silli's Here ! Duster lol , that happens when you jump in on a thread an don't start at the beginning ! Sure would like to know where he lives so I can stay away from him !My wife an I have been dealing w/non-payment people an that doesn't pay the bill's an ends up making you look the a-hole an all your looking for is your $$$

Well... for some of us it's about creating a certain station aesthetic. If the rest of your station is vintage CB gear, having a modern amp or even a vintage ham amp just throws the whole look out of whack. Yes I know- the receiving party can't see the gear.

Maybe I'm a bit goofy but the sensation experienced when I am surrounded in a cloud of HV and RF is something that no drug or intoxicant can equal. And when it comes to leaky amps it's hard to beat a sweep tuber!

I also get a thrill out of having a bunch of 40 year old gear, all of it made in the USA and still working after all these years.

Having said all that you are correct. The damn things cost a fortune to retube and won't last as long as a real amp. But it's a hobby, right? Whoever said that hobby expenditures have to make sense?
This is why I love them all, to have 30+ year old USA hand crafted point to point wired radios and amplifiers that still work great is the best feeling ever! Even the ones that don't work still look great up there on the shelf!

All of the 3 stage Phantoms I've seen had the grid adjust you described on the rear panel, along with an on-off switch. The grid tune was used on 10 & 15 meters, but not on 20 & 40. I understand some Phantoms were made for 11 meters only. Does yours have a bandswitch or not? Also, can you post a picture ?

I have a grid tune on the back of mine it’s right next to the input for jumper from radio

I had a PDX 400 about 10 years ago and sold it for about 350 bucks if I recall as I needed a some stuff for college...
I miss that thing it was a real swinger.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.