• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

D&J ECHO REPEATER MODEL 20

hydrocrab

Apr 22, 2012
NEED HELP PLEASE, I HAVE A MODEL 20 D&J ECHO REPEATER ONE WITH THE RED FACE "NEWER" ONE.. I WAS TOLD I NEED TO PUT A 12V RELAY FROM RADIO SHACK IN IT FOR IT TO WORK WITH MODERN RADIOS WITH A LITTLE POWER ADDED,, TRUE?? AND HOW WOULD I GO ABOUT ADDING A RELAY?? ALSO HAVE READ THAT I NEED TO BYPASS RF TO GROUND ON WIRES COMMING IN AND OUT OF IT SO IT WONT SQUELL??? I DONT UNDERSTAND THAT?? ANY HELP WOULD BE VERY APPRECATED AS I AM LEARNING TO WORK ON STUFF THE "CORRECT" WAY AND UNDERSTAND AS I GO..I DO UNDERSTAND RELAYS JUST DONT KNOW HOW TO INSTALL IT ... THANK YOU FOR READING.:)

have you just plugged it in and tried it?i remember these from back in the day ,even had one or 2 .it was kinda hit or miss if it worked or not .
there is surely better options out there to get an echo in your radio .
if it doesnt work the way it sits sell it .
its not so great a piece that i would put time ,money and effort into getting it to work right .
try it on a cobra or a uniden ,not an export .
report back .

thank you for your time .i will try it as is ,still waiting on radio 959. slowly getting it all together will let you know when i do ,, might be awhile so hang in there. ha. i was wondering about the relay just to do it and learn how???? do you know?? what does bypass rf to ground mean??? thanks much for replying, take care, rob...

well these were designed to be used with non export radios like cobras ,unidens,midlands,ect,ect......basically any radio that gets quiet when you disconnect the mic .
exports keep on receiving without a mic and with that kind of radio you might have issues .

i seen these pop up a few years ago,they went sight unseen for many many years ,then someone must have got their hands on some new old stock and a few started to surface .
these are 80`s vintage and were designed around the radios from those times .
there was a few models to chose from to.

try it when you get the 959 then report back .

Not true about the relay, mine is wired for my RCI-2980, my Cobra 148gtl, 2 cobra 29LTD classic's and works fine on my Galaxy 959. These are all 4 pin radios, I use my echo box it with a 5/4 pin adapter to work with my radios.

The echo box is a 4 pin input, 5 pin output. It works great on my 5 pin Cobra 2000 gtl without the adapter. So, unless its damaged I see no reason you cannot use it.. I will check color coding for output plug and get back in here with that info.

I use a 12v power supply to run it on the base. The adapter is great, 5 pin to 4 pin (eBay)

Last edited:
Okay here are the pin requirements for 5 pin output. D&J Electronics Echo Repeater Model 20.. Photos of adapter & Echo box..
Output Pins

1 White
2+4 are jumper-ed together
3 Red
5 Black

D&JModel20_1.jpg
D&JModel20_2.jpg
D&JModel20_3.jpg
D&JModel20_4.jpg

I hope this helps..Good Luck

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.