1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dad is looking to get into ham radio

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by loosecannon, Jan 12, 2018 at 1:23 AM.

1. loosecannon

loosecannon
    Expand Collapse

Hi all.

My dad is finally catching the bug to get a ham license, and wants to put a 2m or dual band radio in his motor home.

I'm not too familiar with what is good and bad in this market, so i was hoping you fine folks could give me some opinions for a good mobile VHF starter rig.

My dad is a retired engineer, so i'm not worried about him not understanding menu options and things like that, i just want to get him a decent power output in a reliable rig that can be had for a song. (that's not too much to ask is it? LOL)

Since this is his first, rig, he is hoping for something used around the 100 dollar mark. I have told him his pickin's may be slim, but i also told him i would check.

I know this isn't the forum for horse trading, but if someone has something that might work, please feel free to PM me here on the forum.

thanks all!
    LC

2RT307 likes this.

2. 2RT307

2RT307
    Expand Collapse

Very cool! You should be able to find a nice used dual bander for that price. I don't have anything for sale at the moment. If you want to spend a little more, the TYT 7800 is a really nice little dual bander. Pretty much a Yaesu clone. I have been using mine for about a year, and it works great. I think you can find them new for about 160 bucks, and they do 50 watts on 2, and about the same on 70cm.

Brett

loosecannon likes this.
  3. fourstringburn

fourstringburn
    Expand Collapse
    W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member K5KNM

Not sure how VHF is around your area is but my area the VHF bands are mostly quiet. A few nets and buddy groups at night, that's about it. Not enough activity to keep me listening.

I would suggest him getting a general ticket because HF is where the real radio action is.

A nice used HF rig like a Kenwood TS 440 for example can be bought for $300 or less. The AT models have tuners and a $50 G5RV is simple multi band antenna to start out with.

That's a relatively small investment that will open up the world to ham radio and he can always improve on equipment if the desire is there to do so, or if he decides it's not really for him, the investment wasn't that much also.

4. loosecannon

loosecannon
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the reply FSB,

HF doesn't really interest him, since he only wants to be able to use the radio on road trips, and maybe talk with other hams while driving around town.

The height of his motor home/ van is too much for anything more than a 2m antenna, and he has no interest in mounting something on the vehicle. mag mount only.

Having a son that has been a radio nut all his life, dad knows what goes into HF operation, and ham radio in general, and knows that he only wants one unobtrusive radio to have in the van when he wants to listen in.

right now i am looking at the kenwood 261 or 281 if i can find the right price.
    LC

5. K3ACZ

K3ACZ
    Expand Collapse
    W9WDX Member

Yaesu 2980.. 80,30,10,5 watt options. Like $169 at Giga with instant rebate. I'd program in all the common simplex and repeaters in the metro areas.. This strategy works well. Set to scan and just drive..

loosecannon likes this.
  6. wavrider

wavrider
    Expand Collapse
    W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

loosecannon likes this.
  7. BJ radionut

BJ radionut
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member

https://www.radioddity.com/car-transceiver.html

http://www.diamondantenna.net/cr627b.html
    I have on of these antennas...works VERY well on 2m/440...for 6m FM it's a 1/4 wave...made many contacts on SSB and FM...nice gain on 440 where you REALLY need it....Fold over base a plus also!

https://www.radioddity.com/car-transceiver/tyt-th-9800-two-way-radio.html

https://www.radioddity.com/car-tran...cable-cd-50w-high-gain-quad-band-antenna.html

having 6m FM, like top radio adds some interesting FUN...lot repeaters in big cities with excellent range...and when the band is open...gets interesting...He will never know where he might talk...:)
    Hope he enjoys his new venture...We are here to help!
    All the Best
    Gary/W9FNB

PS: rigs linked above are around the price break +/- but QTH.com classifieds are mostly HAMS selling to HAMS...good place to look for used equipment...
    https://swap.qth.com/c_radiovhf.php

firerunner and loosecannon like this.
  8. tba02

tba02
    Expand Collapse
    WOOF

The Kenwood TM‑281A is a solid and rugged VHF unit. I mention that if he travels frequently and things get bounced around.

firerunner and loosecannon like this.
  9. n8fgb

n8fgb
    Expand Collapse

135 brand new delivered. Best option in my opinion. Stay away from the chink radios.

loosecannon likes this.
  10. Klondike Mike

Klondike Mike
    Expand Collapse

loosecannon likes this.
  11. loosecannon

loosecannon
    Expand Collapse

Thanks to all for the replies!

I sent him a link to the Kenwood 281 from gigaparts (who just happen to be local to me!)

I agree that this is a great deal, and appreciate the advice.

now i just have to help him study!
    LC

12. w9cll

w9cll
    Expand Collapse
    W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Have him study for the general as well, VHF/UHF is nice but general and above is where the real fun is.

K3ACZ likes this.
  13. firerunner

firerunner
    Expand Collapse

My first dual band radio was a yaesu FT 8800 a very nice radio but i never seem to use 70cm but i can. i then picked up a FTM-3200DR digital and analog 2m only. The analog version is FTM-3100R good price but seems to be sold out at most venders. The funny thing is you know how a lot of appliances are made by 1 company but braded by many, well check out the two radios i am posting.:whistle: The best advice i got on this site is to go a little better than you think you want , as not to buy twice. A 1/2 wave antenna from like diamond would be a good choice for a Motorhome for a antenna.

https://www.gigaparts.com/yaesu-ftm-3100r.html?msclkid=e089e449f244173d5792be129c21e656#

https://www.gigaparts.com/kenwood-tm-281a.html?msclkid=1622bebb08ce14099d7ce4e0651bed74#

BJ radionut likes this.