• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DAK Mic Wiring

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
Hi all I have a Dak That I need to test out but need the wiring shceme for wiring a mice for it. Its a 4 pin and its not listed in my mic wiring book so any hepl would be greatyly appreciated.. Thanks Tony.....

Here's the pinout from the Dak 9 schematic:

Pin 1: Mike audio (the wire inside the shield)

Pin 2 and 3: Ground.

Pin 4: Transmit

I find it a lot more convenient to just change the wires on the inside of the radio's mike socket to match a Cobra/Galaxy/Connex mike.

Don't have the wire colors on record, but all you do is swap pin 1 with pin 2, then swap the pin 4 wire with pin 3. Now pins 1 and 4 will both be wired to ground, opposite the pair that WERE grounded. Pin 2 will now be audio, and pin 3 will now be the transmit pin. Doesn't need the mike plugged in to receive, so you're only using three of the four pins.

The Dak mobile radios used a 5-pin DIN plug, and used all five pins. Hadn't seen one of them for years, until a regular customer carried one in last week. Couldn't believe what he was willing to spend to convert the mike plug to a standard 4-pin, variable key and a bump-bump with variable pitch. What some folks will pay for bragging rights never ceases to amaze me.

Here's the "after" pic. Now you can say you really HAVE seen a mobile Dak CB.

MarkVfrontsm.jpg

the mic im using is a replacement off brand i had here. the wires are yellow , bare (shield) , black , red .......yellow im guessing is shield trans is red and obviously black is recieve so pin 1 is yellow pin 4 is red if 2 and 3 are ground im hsthering the shield is conected to one of these??? and there is goin to be one empty pin or NC pin

Okay,
To make that mike work without rewiring the radio's socket should be:

Pin 1: yellow
Pin 2: shield
Pin 3: black, or just leave it off. The Mark 9 doesn't use the black receive wire.
Pin 4: red

Just like you said.

You could glance at the rear of the mike socket and confirm that pins 2 and 3 (the ones on the side away from the 'key' slot) are connected to each other. If they aren't, somebody has modified the socket's wiring.

Since most of my customers have other radios with a 4-pin socket wired like a Cobra/Galaxy, they have mikes already wired that way. Makes changing the radio's socket wiring look more attractive than having just one mike wired "special" for that radio alone.

Reactions: eric chilton
ok it lights up and looks neet but i get no sound without mic and no sound / transmit / audio or movment of meters so im thinkin this is a parts radio :( oh well. That thing sure does look goofy inside I looked to see if there was any obvious signs of why it isnt working switch for relay mic ETC. I imagine it would cost a fortune to have this big birtha fixed LOL. It sat around here for a few yaers and i justwas in the mood for tinkerin but stioll had hopes it worked. Whats a radio like this worth as far as parts???? Or maybe some can even fix it??? I even thought of having someone build this with a cobra 25 or sideband radio 148 or such could this be done use of the chassis and meters but different bored installed??? Even if this power supply is not a match for another radio eternal supply could be used . I really get a kick outta this thing what do you all think whats your opinion?? Like it or launch the idea???

Uh Tony, is the solid-state radio at the center of the chassis made from TWO separate circuit boards, a small one with the PLL chip, and a larger one behind it?

If not, the radio board has been changed. Makes me wonder if the original tube hookup is still connected, if that's so. The fact that you HAVE to connect the mike to get receiver audio suggests the radio board/boards are not original.

From time to time, a customer will carry in a Mark 9 or Mark 10, looking a little sheepish and shy. Like he expects someone to yell at him. Usually says something like "I'll bet you hate to see these come in the door". I'll throw him a nice, wide grin, look him in the eye, and say "No we like to see that one come in. They always cost a MINT to bring back to life. What's NOT to love ???"

That's not what he was expecting to hear, but it breaks the ice. And destroys any remaining hope that somehow it can be done "cheap". A good thing to get out of the way first.

If the radio is original, the main issue is mileage. Too bad they don't come with an odometer. A lot of wear and tear will cost more to fix than just the age issues alone. As Indiana Jones once said "It's not just the years, it's the miles, too."

Some parts, like the channel selector and digits are no longer available anywhere. Parts meant for a different brand/model can be adapted, but the cost of labor to do that is pretty high.

Installing a "real" radio at the heart of such a big, gorgeous cabinet is a whole lot like building a radio. Compare the price of a new car, off the lot, to the price your favorite mechanic would quote to take a pile of parts and build you ONE of the same model car. Yes, it can be done. You just can't make the price competitive with the labor savings of a factory assembly line. Mass production really is cheaper than custom one-up labor.

If you compare the price of a 'custom' car to the price of a factory-stock model off the dealer's lot, you'll see what I mean.

Yes, it can be done. And the word "cheap" won't come anywhere near the picture.

The other thing I'll tell the customer about that kind of proposition is that what it's "worth" is his decision. All I can advise him on is "cost".

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.