• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dayton HAMvention 2017

This had better change!...I am not getting washed out 3 years in a row at Dayton...Most of the outdoor vendors never opened last year on Sat due to rain 50%of the tables were EMPTY by NOON time...
Year before HAIL/RAIN/WINDY and COLD...most outdoor vendors were gone by Mid-Afternoon Sat...None returned Sunday...
Hope for the Best/Gary/W9FNB
SAT
MAY 20 64% Scattered Thunderstorms:mad:
81°66°
SE 8 mph

SUN
MAY 21 80% Thunderstorms:mad:
82°60°
SSW 15 mph

Last edited:
Well rain or no rain...Headed to Dayton/Xenia on Saturday morning...Forecast what it is...
Got to go see the new venue and see and meet the faces behind the microphones...
Plus who knows what I may find that SAYS: TAKE ME HOME...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:...
I surely need a Fifth amplifier and another HF or VHF rig:rolleyes::LOL::LOL::p:p:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I'll have a T-Shirt with my call sign...PLEASE say Hello if you notice me!
PLus will be listening to 441.700 FM Simplex...be there with Robin W8WAM:D
All the Best(y)
Gary /W9FNB

Last edited:
Thursday night finds me safely ensconced in the motel where we have stayed for the last 20-plus of these wingdings. Not fancy, but the wifi is hot.

Friday am brings a new adventure. And, even better, breakfast at the Golden Nugget.

Film at 11, sorta.

Reactions: BJ radionut
I enjoyed the 2017 Hamvention. The motel I stay at is south of Dayton and the drive in to Xenia (back way) was a lot faster then the drive up to Hara. Convenient/free parking at a satellite parking spot. Rode a free bus into the fairgrounds and caught a golf cart ride up to the front gate.

I went both Friday and today. On Friday I spent most of my time in the flea market area and then today was outside until noon. When a storm came through I went inside and looked around for a few hours.

The flea market area may have had fewer tables then at Hara but they are more concentrated so less walking. Saw lots of cool equipment. I bought a Kenwood hybrid and hadn't carried it 20 feet before a guy on a golf cart said he would get me a ride. He called someone on his HT and about 1 minute later another cart pulled up and gave me a ride to the bus pickup spot. I went and dropped off my new toy and turned around and went back to the flea market. Much easier then when I would buy bulky items in previous years.

It was cool to look at the new Icom IC7610. It and the IC7300 hands on displays had a lot of people looking. The line for this years free Yaesu hat was long but went fast.
I hadn't heard about the new Flex radios so was surprised to see the 6400.

I've now been to about 10 hamventions and would rate Xenia as worth my time and I'll be back. With the rain the flea market area had some muddy areas but just walked around them. I never got mud or water in my shoes - so wasn't a big deal.

I stayed for all 3 days. Got to meet Jeri Ellsworth without coming off too much as an infatuated old goat. Gordon West liked my suggestion that I should organize a "HCWA", as in Half-Century Wireless Association. Pretty sure he would qualify. I won't for another year or two. Overall it was exceptionally well run. Managing a force of volunteer labor is a lot like herding cats. They pulled it off.

The "Mudvention" flea market area was probably the low spot. Seems easy to have predicted, but I'll guess that next year's setup will benefit from lessons learned. A suitable facility with enough acres of paved lot was probably impossible to find. Hope they'll work out a fix. The flea market is not the whole Rainvention, errr, Hamvention. But it's a big part, and letting it die on the vine would be a shame. And expecting dry weather would be insane.

The Xenia sherriff and police managed the traffic far better than I expected.

Yes, I'll be there for 2018 barring catastrophe.

Went early on Sat, felt sorry for Yaesu booth next to the door within smelling distance of the porta potty.
Spent most time in flea market mud areas, found some good deals when down pour came around 11.
Got new/used Yaesu MD100 mic for 100 -- great deal, and saw the new M-1 mic going for 750 - overkill.
Plenty of food vendors, didn't see any funnel cakes thou.
Plenty of transportation tractors hauling folks back and forth.
Always love to see the variety of mobile antennas in the lot and while driving around Xenia/Beavercreek Fri/Sat/Sun.
Wore mud boots, had a great time.
Philpoh

I like and agree with NM and others above...considering the time involved with the transformation from Old Venue to New.
They pulled it off. I think the club and Green County/Xenia personnel did a wonderful job.
Growing pains, yes but a tip of the hat to all involved.
Robin(W8WAM) and I rode the park and ride from Beavercreek, location.
GLAD we did and will do it again. Easy off the Hi-way and easy back on. All personnel from that location were all being paid...drivers/greeters etc. I just wonder how long DARA Club can sustain that expense of all those locations. I'll pay $20 bucks to keep it that way and not blink an eye. (always paid to park at HARA)
All the Best
Gary

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?