• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Differences between the Yaesu VX-2 and VX-3?

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I have the Yaesu VX-2. It's a neat little radio for what it is and I actually like it, even though the power output is low.

I was looking online at the VX-3 and trying to figure out the differences between the two? I see that the VX-3 has stereo output, a different dial on top, and slightly different button layout, but are there any significant differences? Is there new functionality in the VX-3 that I'm not spotting?

I have both...

Two things I can think of... the VX-3R has a separate "Radio" button and with the 3R you can name the banks. I like to be able to name the banks. I just find that it is much easier to sort and remember what memories are in what bank. On the VX-2R, it's pretty much a guessing/remembering game because all you see is Bank 1, Bank2, Bank 3, etc.

If I think of more I'll report back.

Edit:

Also, you have to press the volume button while turning the top knob to control the volume. This can be difficult at times since you have to have both hands free. BTW, you can have the rotary knob control the volume only. You press the "f/w" then the "vol" buttons to do this.

I find that the radio reception on the VX-2R is a touch better. I improved the reception on the VX-3R by using a longer Yaesu antenna.

No belt clip on the VX-3R. That bugs me a little. I know that Yaesu belt clips are not the best but I feel that having the option of using one is better than not having the option at all.

Last edited:
I have both as well. I will second that I like that the volume locks so that it doesn't get turned down when it rubs against something. Two other things that I like on the VX3 over the VX2 is that when on a memory channel that is displaying the name you can press the monitor button and when the squelch breaks it displays the frequency. You can also press the f/w key and then scroll 10 memory channels at a time, it makes it much easier to get through a lot of memories.

I also really like the addition of the 3.5mm stereo headphone jack. It makes it easy to monitor with regular headphones on and the ability to monitor a ham frequency while simultaneously listening to the FM broadcast is nice as well. It mutes the FM broadcast when there is activity on the ham frequency, I use this quite often when working in it yard.

I finds my self using the VX3 way more than the VX2.

Has anyone done a comparison of these radios in the 225-400 mhz AM Aircraft band?
I am extremely disapointed with the VX-3R, it cant hear staions on 257.675 or 282.3 at all, even with an outdoor antenna, my R-5 and my TH-F6A hear them indoors on a flexible antenna.
Ed

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.