• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dipoles in general

Heavy Metal

Aug 23, 2014
I am new searching about antennas, be it dipoles cut to specific freq's, or trapped or loaded, kinda leaning towards a loaded one maybe fan like but one leg with say 160, 80, 40 20, 12, 10 The other 160, 75, 60, 30, 15 The other 40, 20, 15, 17, 10, to a point, my serious questions is on this is polarization I'd like to have as little as possible and receive horizontal and verticle and be omni directional. I'd like to know best way to accomplish this and pros and cons to doing it. I look forward to the discussion of it all, and thanks.

Google is you friend so many sites dedicated to the dipole

With that said the inverted v. Dipole will present a good impedance to your transmitter

Google fan dipole

Omni directional both horizontal and vertical 10 to 160 meters .No such single antenna! The inverted v is the closest to what you are asking.Likewise I suggest you do some more reading, starting with antenna polarization.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
I use the Alpha Delta DX-CC in an inverted V configuration, which is really just a fan dipole that is coil loaded for 80 meters. Mounted just above that, I use a Cushcraft R6000 6-20m vertical antenna. Most of the time, the inverted V works quite a bit better, but sometimes I can hear stations on the vertical way better than the inverted V. The point is that there isn't a magic bullet antenna that works "best" in every situation. You have to make a few key decisions that work for your location and property restrictions and go from there. If you can figure out how to get a couple of antenna up that have different polarization, you can switch between them to see which works better under the current propagation conditions.

Reactions: binrat and wavrider
Omni directional both horizontal and vertical 10 to 160 meters .No such single antenna! The inverted v is the closest to what you are asking.Likewise I suggest you do some more reading, starting with antenna polarization.

I have some of It is confusing to a point I know If you have a plus shaped antenna you can switch from veritical to horizontal but if you twist it you get both same time with some draw back to it, I am just trying to figure out different ways to do a limited space but min amount of antennas all over the place. I just curious to what can and cannot be done to fake it out to thinking its a true length via coil or something similar and multi strands via fan dipole or vertical and dipole prefer inverted V just to get both horizontal and vertical. Any thoughts or hints or help pointing in right direction would be most helpful been so long since messed with antennas.

I use the Alpha Delta DX-CC in an inverted V configuration, which is really just a fan dipole that is coil loaded for 80 meters. Mounted just above that, I use a Cushcraft R6000 6-20m vertical antenna. Most of the time, the inverted V works quite a bit better, but sometimes I can hear stations on the vertical way better than the inverted V. The point is that there isn't a magic bullet antenna that works "best" in every situation. You have to make a few key decisions that work for your location and property restrictions and go from there. If you can figure out how to get a couple of antenna up that have different polarization, you can switch between them to see which works better under the current propagation conditions.

As just posted sounds like maybe might have to go with two but again like to keep to a min on how many to have to use I thought of an old 5/8 wave CB or 10/12 meter vertical and a couple of induction coils and tape them for the bands desired any input on that? As well as loading coils tap into base loaded one and all. I just got ideas and no place fits into it that I been reading up on. Again any help I would appreciate it.

That's so far all for the responses I need mind stimulation and debate ect get what's left of the old noodle thinking lol.

As just posted sounds like maybe might have to go with two but again like to keep to a min on how many to have to use I thought of an old 5/8 wave CB or 10/12 meter vertical and a couple of induction coils and tape them for the bands desired any input on that? As well as loading coils tap into base loaded one and all. I just got ideas and no place fits into it that I been reading up on. Again any help I would appreciate it.

You will have some difficulty adding inductors to a 5/8 wave 10/12 meter vertical and tapping them to get them resonant on multiple bands. I'm not saying that it's impossible, because I'm not intelligent enough on this subject to declare what is possible and what is not. I just don't think I would be willing to try it. HOWEVER...if you are willing to give it a go and show us all your results, that would be pretty cool.

I just was thinking of base loaded antennas and thought why not tap into it like a dipole when you add coil to shorten it as well as a bridge to bypass the could to make another band. Just running ideas threw my head lol

You will have some difficulty adding inductors to a 5/8 wave 10/12 meter vertical and tapping them to get them resonant on multiple bands. I'm not saying that it's impossible, because I'm not intelligent enough on this subject to declare what is possible and what is not. I just don't think I would be willing to try it. HOWEVER...if you are willing to give it a go and show us all your results, that would be pretty cool.

Yeah the 5/8 wave already has a loading coil in the base and it is hard to predict what the voltages across it may be when operated on other bands with external loading coils. If it were me I would put up a single vertical as long as I could get it, lay some radials on the ground or just under the sod, and use a single loading coil at the base with taps for each band.

Sorry meant to put this

Model 6-BTV

Two of these and connect them via a plate and in a V with a rotor and use a 1:1 current/choke type balun.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.