• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Do I really need two alternators

Rescue

Dec 15, 2017
TX
I am only running a Connex 4600 Turbo and a TS Sweet 16. Do I really need two alternators or will one high output do it? Running two batteries and the radio is hooked up to an Optima yellow top dedicated just to the radio. Everything that can be is grounded to my chassis is. So do I really need two alternators?

Rescue each 2sc2879 transistor (pill in CB slang) will draw 25 amps at full output.
SO how ever many transistors you may have in that there sweet 16 ( eight I think)
would be multiplied by 25 so Eight transistors would be 200 amp just the amplifier.
This is not including the current required for the radio or the current required for the vehicle to function correctly.

Your vehicle, your install, you decide how much amperage you need for the system you are installing.

Keep in mind ohms law, the lower the voltage the more current required.
So if you do not have enough amperage available for that system then you may damage electronic components in your vehicle by having low voltage and high current usage.

What is the rating in Amps of the "High output" alternator.

What is the Amps at idle ? RPM of engine ?

What is the diameter of the pulley on the alternator?

What is the size of the engine in your platform ? HP at idle ?

What is the width of the serpentine belt ?

What voltage regulator is mounted on the high output alternator ? Or is it an adjustable

fender mount unit ?

Two 110 pound batteries will run what you mentioned for maybe 5 minutes of keyup time

before they are drawn down. Definitely U need more batteries.

How many DC amps does the footwarmer pull from the batteries on key-up /

How many DC amps does the connex Pulll ?

RU going to install lets say a 20 farad boost pack ?

"high output" at what RPM ? Pulley Diameter ?

Maybe...Just maybe. Return the box ? Get yur money back ? Hire a pro to install

this unit properly ?

2 batteries + two alternators at idle may still not do it for more than 10 minutes.

Yur engine may not have the torque required to turn 2 "True high ouput alternators" ?

Have fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!

73s

Reactions: Tallman
Wow that was a ton of questions I don't know. I am having the radio installed by a pro. Optima batteries like the one I have for the radio and amp are true deep cycle batteries for electrical items with a ton of draw. I have a rescue truck with a police package to run computer radio scanner lights etc so yes the engine can handle two alternators my question was do I need two? I'm not trying to skimp just didn't know if I should spend the money. I know some guys run two or more and some guys don't. Not everyone with an amp needs two alternators so is it because it is an 8 pill amp?

Wow that was a ton of questions I don't know. I am having the radio installed by a pro. Optima batteries like the one I have for the radio and amp are true deep cycle batteries for electrical items with a ton of draw. I have a rescue truck with a police package to run computer radio scanner lights etc so yes the engine can handle two alternators my question was do I need two? I'm not trying to skimp just didn't know if I should spend the money. I know some guys run two or more and some guys don't. Not everyone with an amp needs two alternators so is it because it is an 8 pill amp?

Here are some facts about current vs watts "if" you are producing 1200 watts of power at 12.5VDC you will be drawing 100 amps minimum. If the alternator in that vehicle is 160amps which is standard for police package vehicles you may be able to get by. Just remember night time, cold weather, air conditioner blowers etc could be asking for 12 to 30 amps at any given time. Now I don't know what kind of power is being produced but in the world of current vs watts if just remember "IF" you are producing 1200 watts when you key the mic you asking the alternator and batteries to produce 100 amps and also remember the more batteries you have the is more batteries the Alternator has to charge and maintain. Also unless you are producing a constant 1200 watts those current levels will fluctuate something to remember to keep the drive from radio down a little if you reduce output by just 200 watts you should be able to reduce current draw by around 15 to 20 amps. In closing, I'm assuming proper cable gauge and connections are perfect and the antenna is all done to proper specs I have repaired many Sweet 16's over the years and can tell you most issues were caused by poorly installed systems.

VT52

I am only running a Connex 4600 Turbo and a TS Sweet 16. Do I really need two alternators or will one high output do it? Running two batteries and the radio is hooked up to an Optima yellow top dedicated just to the radio. Everything that can be is grounded to my chassis is. So do I really need two alternators?
The Sweet 16 could draw 400 amps peak. You better have a really good antenna behind it as well. What type of vehicle will this be installed in? You can get one wire alternators that will put out 200 amps with no problem. If the vehicle is computerized you may have bigger problems coming.

May-not need two alternators...might need more batterys tho..sorta a "wait and see" type deal...

Hook everything up, then drive around using all the toys on the truck and see how everything acts...If the motor starts to act-up when you key the radio, then your probably starving the electrical system...

I use to run a 2x6 Davemade in my route van with no problems and all it had was a 135 amp alternator, which had to power the van, and a full size refrigerator in the back of the van...plus the radio equipment...also had a power inverter hooked up to 4 battery's in the back that was for the frig...so the alternator had too also keep those batterys charged up... IMO I was asking allot for a 135 amp alternator, but it worked fine... and still working fine although I have taken the radio stuff out because thinking of getting a newer van.
lt8PeTG.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: rabbiporkchop
The Sweet 16 could draw 400 amps peak. You better have a really good antenna behind it as well. What type of vehicle will this be installed in? You can get one wire alternators that will put out 200 amps with no problem. If the vehicle is computerized you may have bigger problems coming.
2011 Chevy Tahoe installing a Mechman 270 alternator

2011 Chevy Tahoe installing a Mechman 270 alternator
The operative word from my post is PEAK. Most likely around 116 to 120 amps. It might be better to down size your amplifier. That's a huge amp for shooting skip especially since 11 meters is down on the solar cycle.

I'm not trying to shoot skip I just want monster audio no one can talk over and blows the doors off

Monster audio doesn’t equal having the most watts. Having audio no one can talk over is all relative to so many factors... your location, my location, your set up my setup, location of the receiving station/s, does the receiving station/s have the ability to NULL your signal out. Sorry you’re not going to shut everyone down even over a 3 mile radius.

IMHO dual batteries with 270 amp alternator will work but be marginal. I tried running a 2 x 8 (Dave Made) with 2 batteries and 230 amp alternator...that was a NO GO! Sold the amp went back to a Cobra 29 driving a 4 pill No Name amp.

You can't be king unless you can key near 100% duty cyle. When you disappear after 10 minutes everyone will know why, and you will be clowned for it. Once they figure it out they will keep their TX real short, and you will be out of fuel in 5 minutes.

It all depends on what you want to achieve, and what you want to spend. Just be honest with yourself with your goals.

Monster Audio

High pass & low pass filter at the Audio out lead of the mic element.

The filters will dampen audio peaks at the source. Especially the vowels/base voice

sounds.

Noise canceling mobile mic The best bar non and heap of lies for many decades.

Shure 557B.

Compressor audio circuit. Fallowed by a Audio clipping circuit.

Adjust everything on an ocilliscope. 4 watts will sound like 100 watts at close to

100% modulation. Now feed this into a linear.

Alternatively. Turner + 3 compression desk mic (with high pass low pass mod.)

+ 858 based CB radio that already has a built in clipping audio circuit

Best 73s

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated