• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Does Top Gun Quad 5 have adj. RF power on SSB via front knob?

CB590

W9WDX Member
Jun 29, 2016
Trenton Nj
www.590dx.com
Does the Quad 5 have adjustable RF power on SSB via the front knob?? The spec sheets says LSB/USB adjustable 0-40w, but the user manual page 8 says AM/FM only.

Anyone know for sure??

I don't have the radio I was just reading the stats on the web site. If you go to Bobs Cb and click on the quad 5 it will tell you all about the low and high dead key. Hope this helps my friend..

I don't have the radio I was just reading the stats on the web site. If you go to Bobs Cb and click on the quad 5 it will tell you all about the low and high dead key. Hope this helps my friend..

The site repeats what the specs say but the manual still has conflict. The AT-5555 doesn't adjust SSB either so I'm thinking the Quad doesn't either..

At any rate I grabbed the Lincoln II+ from sky-tronics.com. They do have one Quad 5 left in stock that has freq mod and tune-up (listed as complete setup) for $259 if anyone wants it. Dan (the owner) is really helpful..

Sorry I could not be of more help. Let me know about sky-tronics if you like them. they have some good prices.

So using a RF pwr meter you flipped to USB or LSB and verified a low dead key and then high dead key? What type of reading did you get if I may ask??

I appreciate your help.

I hope you don't see a dead key when in USB or LSB mode or something is wrong for sure.

I get that too much mic gain kills the modulation..
In simple terms there is no carrier on SSB so it's all audio, adjusting the mike gain will control output. You can over do it of course and this is why ham rigs have an ALC meter. You can watch your output and see when you are over driving it. In general with the ALC meter you don't want the meter to move at all or barely move, this way you know the limiter is not kicking in and compressing your signal. This is just one of the many reasons why we were recommending a ham rig over an export.
Hope this helps Albert

Last edited:
Reactions: LeapFrog
I did note that when set at 25 vs 36 on mic gain on Lincoln 2+ the built in meter moved less or nill and I recall bellscb showing how to much mic gain ganged up the audio on his scope.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated