• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dr. Dipole question

KJ4VRQ

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Sep 9, 2013
I ordered a Dr. dipole 11 meter antenna today. Only paid around $20. All the reviews I have read have been really positive. I know that people use horizontal antennas for DX but can I also use this to talk to locals? I am running a cobra 2000 gtl and I have a homemade ummm "box" that does around 350. I'm sure I won't have an issue getting out to locals but will I be able to hear them? I don't really have a good place for a vertical here...

You'll probably be able to talk with most of them. Your signal won't be as strong as before and theirs won't be as strong either.

The only way to know for sure is put it up and get it on the air.

Are there any suggestions as to how to hang this antenna vertical? I have an Antron 99 that has never let me down, but I don't know of how I can put that antenna up at the house...

Cross polarization (Vertical vs. horizontal) is roughly 20 dB down. Since an S-Unit is about 6 dB, your local ground wave signals will see about a 3 S-Unit reduction of vertical signals when you are using a horizontal antenna. Skip signals will not show such a large difference.

Mike

Reactions: Tallman
If you have an A99 up then just hang the dipole horizontal and use it for "skip". As for hanging, all I did was throw a rope over a tree limb and hang it from there. Make sure the ends are down at a 45 degree angle and you're all set. Also make sure someone can not touch the ends of the antenna as there could be high voltages present.

do you have room to stick the antron in the ground?
for years I operated a big stick on a 5' mast attached to another 5' mast pounded into the ground.
total height at feedpoint was 5'6".
worked great. it was a skip shooting monster and no complaints from my locals.

Just got it today but haven't hooked it up.
I used a dr. Dipole during the end and 2nd peak of cycle 24 2013 2014 and even 2015 i worked all of europe and the u.k scotland an irland italy on a daily basis.probaly 4000 miles or more with 100 watts an the dr dipole horizontal about 20 feet up and even had trees all around it.i blew away almost every vertical and even some beams here in virginia.i must say 388 working my short longwire became kinda of a legendary little saying i got known all over europe and the licals began to hate me for having all the world call me by name.i made more contacts into europe and west coast also with 100 watts and a ild rusty wire well thats wat i got known for.my farthest on the dr dipole was australia japan and new zealand from virginia.

Just got it today but haven't hooked it up.
I dont talk local and still dont understand the hate you get when your talking all around europe from va but stations in texas an cali are calling you an hour.and old kenwood 450sat and 940sat and even a ranger 2970 im in a good spot i guess and also no beams or verts allowed jus a hidden fmdr dipole.1.12

Once the signal hits the "E" layer the polarization becomes ambiguous. Horizontal antennas show reduced local static and make it easier to copy weak signals.

The haters were jealous. They did not or were not willing to put the effort in it as you were.

I talked to an operator in MUMBAI India from my mobile in Louisville, ky on my barefoot IC-746.
Loud signals on both ends.

Last edited:
Reactions: NZ8N
I have made MANY dx contacts with my Dr. Dipole antenna with it set up as a horizontal,sloper and inverted V. I have made contacts with a barefoot Uniden 980, an old Uniden Grant. of course adding a RM Italy 203 helps alot. I have also used my Magnum S45HP from time to time with great results when skip is good..

I currently have my dipole set up on a painters pole at about 11 feet to the feedpoint and can hear base station as far as 60 miles from me and sometimes I make contact with them. no complaints from me on the dipole.

I had great luck with a horizontal dipole. Mine was built on a PVC frame and I could rotate it. All of it was diy. Granted much of my luck was due to propagation but I talked all over on very little power. (Canada, CA, AZ, GA, and many more including my favorite.... Australia to another forum member on here. I was able to talk to locals but I didn't really bother too much. You should be happy with yours.
If local talk is important, you can always run it as an inverted v, it's more omnidirectional and behaves like a vertical.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated