• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dragon 10m radio.....

You beat me to it. I was going to say that a friend of mine has a Dragon SS-497 and it is actually a Cherokee CBS-1000 under a differant name. I believe the Dragons were made by a German company.They will cover quite a range below and above the regular CB band as well as into 10m.

CK can you give me 100% proof the Dragon SS497 10meter rig is the same inside as the Cherokee CBS-1000 ? I'm considering buying the Dragon SS497 and I've been lead to believe it's better overall radio than the other versions sir. I'd like some proof one way or another seriously please !

Retro 73's

CK can you give me 100% proof the Dragon SS497 10meter rig is the same inside as the Cherokee CBS-1000 ? I'm considering buying the Dragon SS497 and I've been lead to believe it's better overall radio than the other versions sir. I'd like some proof one way or another seriously please !

Retro 73's

Can ANYBODY give me refuttable proof on this they are very near exact same radio inside ?

All I

Retro 73's

What can I tell you about a seven year old statement? What does it take to qualify as irrefutable proof? Back in the day it was know that the Cherokee (aka Northland) CBS-1000 and the Albreicht Dragon SS497 were identical in appearance both inside and outside and all functions including freq expansion method and coverage were exactly the same. IIRC the Dragon may have included FM mode whereas the CBS-1000 did not and the CBS-1000 had weather whereas the Dragon did not. Can't remember that far back. Various manufactures often made very small changes to one model radio and sold them under different names. In any event they were the same radio with that one small possible exception. That's all I can tell you . PROOF is something you will have to look deeper for.

Reactions: Retro CB Guy
All I

What can I tell you about a seven year old statement? What does it take to qualify as irrefutable proof? Back in the day it was know that the Cherokee (aka Northland) CBS-1000 and the Albreicht Dragon SS497 were identical in appearance both inside and outside and all functions including freq expansion method and coverage were exactly the same. IIRC the Dragon may have included FM mode whereas the CBS-1000 did not and the CBS-1000 had weather whereas the Dragon did not. Can't remember that far back. Various manufactures often made very small changes to one model radio and sold them under different names. In any event they were the same radio with that one small possible exception. That's all I can tell you . PROOF is something you will have to look deeper for.

Yeah the reason I'm asking is because I have a Dragon ss497 lined up to buy now, yet I have a Cherokee CBS 1000 I already own. You are correct on the FM/weather radio difference though. But this Dragon ss497 has dual clarifer (fine and corase) for one which is cool. I heard that there are some better made ones of these typically so called they all look alike to throw them all in one pile and consider them the same conclusion situation. For instance some do NOT have the same exact PCB board and actually have better overall recieve and transmit audio so overall better radios, and I'd like own the better of the pack, so I'm trying to determine is all... I read someone also claiming the Dragon one was better than his Cobra 2000gtl and his Galaxy 2527 and I'm attaching a pic of what he said.

Thanks for the reply and maybe someone has more info, can kick in on this, Retro

Roys short review on Dragon SS497.jpg

Yeah the reason I'm asking is because I have a Dragon ss497 lined up to buy now, yet I have a Cherokee CBS 1000 I already own. You are correct on the FM/weather radio difference though. But this Dragon ss497 has dual clarifer (fine and corase) for one which is cool. I heard that there are some better made ones of these typically so called they all look alike to throw them all in one pile and consider them the same conclusion situation. For instance some do NOT have the same exact PCB board and actually have better overall recieve and transmit audio so overall better radios, and I'd like own the better of the pack, so I'm trying to determine is all... I read someone also claiming the Dragon one was better than his Cobra 2000gtl and his Galaxy 2527 and I'm attaching a pic of what he said.

Thanks for the reply and maybe someone has more info, can kick in on this, Retro

View attachment 18373

Since you said that, I can tell you that back in the day my neighbor had a Cobra 2000GTL and a Dragon SS497 and the Dragon was the better of the two.

Since you said that, I can tell you that back in the day my neighbor had a Cobra 2000GTL and a Dragon SS497 and the Dragon was the better of the two.

Well I just sent payment to get it bro. Let's hope it is quite nice and holds up to what I've heard and read some. He tells me it has no problems and it's got the channel mod done already. Looks in great shape...

Retro

Attachments

• eBay find SS497 Dragon 1.JPG
    eBay find SS497 Dragon 1.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 360
Well I just sent payment to get it bro. Let's hope it is quite nice and holds up to what I've heard and read some. He tells me it has no problems and it's got the channel mod done already. Looks in great shape...

Retro

No channel mods required in that radio. Just press the Ch. 19 button and turn the power on. Hold the button for five seconds and it goes into band selection mode Bands A,B,C,D,E (regular 40 channels) ,F,G,H,I and J IIRC. It covers from about 25.165-29.695 MHz

I just found this topic and site after a lot of Google searching. My cousin gave me a Road Force SS497 which I am pretty sure falls within the multiple names and manufacturers. I have opened it up and it appears there has been mods completed and tested it which confirmed band expansion. I am using a antenna setup like this for now http://www.wolfington.net/articles/dipole/ The only thing that is concerning is that in the AM/FM mode the TX meter slams to the max and on LSB/USB it moves to about one on the meter. I plugged in my SWR meter to compare the readings on the unit and they are very close together. I do know that the cannon plug which the microphone screws into is loose so that really needs to be fixed but I suspect that the microphone may be jacked up also. Any suggestions on a microphone replacement or troubleshooting guide? Thanks

Ironically I just got the Roadforce SS-497 also, so I'll let you know how mine does a bit later rotorhead22.

73's Retro

While at my buddy's electronics shop today, I happened to notice a new in the box 10m radio in the display cabinet. Asked about it and his brother told me he ordered it for a customer 3 years ago, and the guy decided he didn't want it.

It's called a "Dragon", and it was made in the Phillipines, it has USB, LSB, AM, and FM. Memories, scan, VFO with adjustable frequency shift, clarifier, RF gain, Mic gain, digital readout.....in other words this isn't one of those "export" CB's, it's very much like the old President HR2510 I used to have, but this one has FM.

Tomorrow if the weather isn't too crappy I'll build an antenna for it, and see what it'll do.....

BTW.....they let me have it for $100.00.....it was a little hard to walk away from it at that price when they sell for $400.00 new.....
Save your money!

I have the Northpoint/Cherokee CBS 1000, has the mod done 4 11m. My ? is how to get the FM bands???

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-13 19.48.20.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-13 19.48.20.png
    322.3 KB · Views: 63

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.