• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DX-2547 PLL Alignment Discrepancy..

LeapFrog

Wielding Hanlon's Razor
Feb 15, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Looking over at the Cbtricks website I found some alignment information for the Galaxy DX-2547 & 959 radios.
The 959 is close a.f.a.i.k. so I don't know what voltage to adjust for, each page has a different value it seems!:cautious:

Connect Voltmeter to TP2. L14 2.6 VDC ± 0.1

DVM @ TP2 Adjust L14 for 3.0 VDC ±0.1

Connect Voltmeter to TP2. L14 2.5 VDC ± 0.1

DVM @ TP2 Adjust L14 for 3.0 VDC ±0.1

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, I can only guess what it should be for the DX-2547 2.6v ±0.1?
I'd hate to find out that after I adjusted something, the factory service manual had a typo :eek:!

Last edited:

The voltage is going to be different depending on what channel the radio is set to. In the 959 service manual and the 2547 service manual, it says to set the radio to channel 1. In both of the PLL alignment procedures, it says to set the radio to channel 20. You need to read the entire setup procedures or you'll never align a radio properly.

The voltage is going to be different depending on what channel the radio is set to. In the 959 service manual and the 2547 service manual, it says to set the radio to channel 1. In both of the PLL alignment procedures, it says to set the radio to channel 20. You need to read the entire setup procedures or you'll never align a radio properly.

:notworthy:

have you looked at rangers site for the service manual to compare them?
:notworthy:

Thank you Gentlemen, I certainly am no tech! I need to get with the program, thank you once again Unit_399 & Sonoma. I wouldn't know how to operate a handie-talkie without WWDX, this community rocks; thank you for being patient with this dumb red-neck frog.(y)

Last edited:
I hope it didn't sound like I was dissing you LF. We always try to help. Good luck with the alignment.

No worries, 399 I appreciate you being straight forward with me.
It has become apparent that I lack discipline, otherwise I would have caught the so called "discrepancy" myself.
:notworthy: Thank You once again for helping me realize why I was puzzled; I wasn't paying enough attention to what I was doing or trying to accomplish as a whole.

:coffee: And it certainly did not click that the voltage will change depending on what channel frequency the radio is set to, *face-palm* it's back to the basics of PLL, VCO, and mixer stage theory for me. :eek:

Last edited:

The bold text above are words of wisdom. In ANY alignment procedure there is always a set-up procedure at the beginning laying out what gear needs to be connected and where as well as what levels to inject/measure and where. If this set-up procedure is not followed the results are meaningless.

The bold text above are words of wisdom. In ANY alignment procedure there is always a set-up procedure at the beginning laying out what gear needs to be connected and where as well as what levels to inject/measure and where. If this set-up procedure is not followed the results are meaningless.
Thank you Captain Kilowatt, I now understand that a complete procedure must be followed, no steps skipped. (y)

Even though I only 'think' I know a tiny portion about electronics/radio, I DO have respect for the procedure and equipment required.

At this point I feel like I'm barely qualified to monitor the modulation of my own radio lol, that much is clear, but I have a passion for this hobby.
So it's time for me to gather ALL the tools needed, then attempt the alignment procedure on a much more serious note; with the proper respect and a complete understanding of how the process happens, and why it is done in the order it is done.

Thank You WWDX, & Unit_399, C.K., Sonoma, Loosecannon, Exit13, Robb, 222DBFL, 543_Dallas, BBB, and many others who have helped me understand a little more at a time, and provided insight!

I feel like I'm ready to start, but I need to buy all the equipment required first.

-LeapFrog

Last edited:
Reactions: 222DBFL
Many times an alignment will require several checks at different frequencies with different results for each. Try and jump ahead on something and you can easily miss something important. Sometimes it is easy to get overconfident but you need to stop and think why is the radio on the bench in the first place? Ans: because it needs to be brought into proper working order. You wouldn't want your mechanic to skip a part of the procedure when doing a brake job or rebuilding an engine.

Many times an alignment will require several checks at different frequencies with different results for each. Try and jump ahead on something and you can easily miss something important. Sometimes it is easy to get overconfident but you need to stop and think why is the radio on the bench in the first place? Ans: because it needs to be brought into proper working order. You wouldn't want your mechanic to skip a part of the procedure when doing a brake job or rebuilding an engine.
Yes Sir I I wouldn't want my distributor tuned by ear.
Or the firing order of the cylinders mixed up!

I haven't touched the PLL/VCO area on this radio yet, nor have I measured what voltage is present on ch. 1 or any other.

The radio had a botched channel mod and several busted variable resistors, also the reverse polarity diode was short circuit, so I think the radio was hooked up backwards at one point. Also I see someone cracked a ferrite or two in some of the inductor cans... :eek:

I just wanted to make sure I had the proper information before I even thought about going further.
I don't trust my non-lab grade freq. counter to be close enough, so I am not going to try a full PLL alignment until I have EVERY peice of gear neeed for the complete procedure, I didn't come here to get comfortable doing things half-ass!

I appreciate everyone keeping it real!
If it needs to be done, it should be done by the book, in order. (No other way)
Once again I thank you guys, I'll go back checking other voltages and see if the radio will put out.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated