• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DX 99V Parts Location - Doing Swing Mod

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
Hep me hep me

ept 360014C board

Believe I have the mod. Place diode between R240 (another source says R249) where R240 connects to C188 & C189 ect...

Can do all this but can't locate these parts. Anyone know exactly where they are? Doing the swing mod on DX 99V so will swing to full power from any setting.

Thanks!!!

Ah geez...so I have found R240. There is a C189 next door but other cap is C190. These are located about and inch behind the PA-Ext Spkr jacks.

This right for Swing Mod on DX 99V with 360014C board?

Thanks!

Hep me hep me

ept 360014C board

Believe I have the mod. Place diode between R240 (another source says R249) where R240 connects to C188 & C189 ect...

Can do all this but can't locate these parts. Anyone know exactly where they are? Doing the swing mod on DX 99V so will swing to full power from any setting.

Thanks!!!

There are 2 swing kits for the 99v you can do R240, or R238! I think R238 is the better swing kit.

Add a diode (1n4001) in series with R238, Just pull on leg of R238 does not matter which one!

Last edited:
There are 2 swing kits fir the 99v you can do R240, or R238! I think R238 is the better swing kit.

Add a diode (1n4001) in series with R238, Just pull on leg of R238 does not matter which one!

Thanks Joe....will check that out !!

Put in a 2SB817
Put R240 back in place
Runs way cooler and SSB is better also.
(Note: These are extracts from the QS forum. I havwn't done this mod to my 99V. It is best to fully tune this radio for max modulation, as it is a screamer 'as is' if tuned right. I have replaced the 2SB817 in my Ranger but not in my 99V yet - now that is a solid mod! Just a much better part.)

Attachments

• pheniiwin7094.gif
    pheniiwin7094.gif
    115.6 KB · Views: 81
Thanks Robb,

Well it's not real clear from the pic where this section is on the board and I don't have that transistor on hand.

Will add the diode to R238 though and see what happens

TNX !

Alright guys.

Did the easy mod thanks to our good looking friend with the mullet, Joe Dirt.

R238 is very easy to get to and is kind of standing out by itself. Remove one leg and insert 1n4001 diode band end down and solder in. Solder loose R238 leg and other end of diode together.

Getting full swing now from any setting.

Readjust low and high power settings.

Done - easy

There are as we see numerous variations of this mod available/possible. May depend on which year model/board your 99V has.

See MackMobile43 for free tickets to next Fan Club meeting
interview.gif

Alright guys.

Did the easy mod thanks to our good looking friend with the mullet, Joe Dirt.

R238 is very easy to get to and is kind of standing out by itself. Remove one leg and insert 1n4001 diode band end down and solder in. Solder loose R238 leg and other end of diode together.

Getting full swing now from any setting.

Readjust low and high power settings.

Done - easy

There are as we see numerous variations of this mod available/possible. May depend on which year model/board your 99V has.

See MackMobile43 for free tickets to next Fan Club meeting
interview.gif

Now if your radio sounds good the way it is then leave it, but if your audio starts getting crunchy upgrade TR51 to the 2sb817
like Robb said it is recommended that you upgrade TR51 to a 2SB817, its that big transistor right by were you installed the diode!

You can also volt your finals in the radio instead of upgrading to the 817!

All the power for the finals and drivers go through that TR51 and the stock one cant handle the extra current after installing the swing kit! If you volt the finals it takes the load off TR51 and runs cooler!

2sb817, Business Industrial, Electronics. Great deals on eBay!

This Mod can be done on the Cobra 148 boards used in various models as well, although the band end of the diode points away from the mounted transistor, and I think connects to the leg closest to the back of the radio, and then to a pad with 3 or 4 solder points on it. Anyone have a diagram of it?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.