• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Elecraft KX3 Pictures and Spec Sheet - From Dayton Hamvention 2011

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
Here are a few pictures of the new Elecraft KX3 ultra portable 160-6m transceiver courtesy of Jeff Davis KE9V from Dayton.

Also, here is a more detailed description of the major features of this rig:

http://www.worldwidedx.com/hf-bands...w-kx3-mobile-portable-high-frequency-rig.html

Enjoy!

moleculo-albums-elecraft-kx3-picture2626-kx3-pic-3.jpg

Note the built in paddle on the bottom of the radio and the telescoping whip antenna on the table beneath the rig:
moleculo-albums-elecraft-kx3-picture2625-kx3-pic-2.jpg

You can get a feel for the overall dimensions of the rig based on the partial hand shot on the paddle:
moleculo-albums-elecraft-kx3-picture2624-kx3-pic-1.jpg

100 watt brick amplifier drawing:
moleculo-albums-elecraft-kx3-picture2623-kxpa-100-amp.jpg

Spec sheets are a little difficult to read, but most of the information can be made out:
moleculo-albums-elecraft-kx3-picture2621-spec-sheet-page-1.jpg

moleculo-albums-elecraft-kx3-picture2622-spec-sheet-page-2.jpg

There is a video about 10 minutes in length accessible from QRP ARCI (actually on YouTube). As for the fixed display (mentioned in the other thread) the entire unit has retractable legs so it will sit at an angle on a picnic table and such. Wayne demonstrates the legs. Also a mobile bracket is in the works that will mate to various RAM Mount accessories.

I wonder if it has a USB port? In the video it talks about PSK with or without a computer. Does that mean it can only decode or can you attach a keyboard?

KX3 Questions

After looking over all the prerelease material and pictures,I am very impressed but I still have two questions that maybe someone who went to Dayton can answer. Does the receiver have general coverage in addition to HF ham bands? Will will be a solder kit, no solder kit, or sold assembled? 73 Mike KF6KXG

Good question, I would want Continuous RX: 500kHz to 60MHz

After looking over all the prerelease material and pictures,I am very impressed but I still have two questions that maybe someone who went to Dayton can answer. Does the receiver have general coverage in addition to HF ham bands? Will will be a solder kit, no solder kit, or sold assembled? 73 Mike KF6KXG

Well Close enough I guess

general coverage from 1.6-30 MHz

(optional broadcast-band filter module covers 0.5-1.6 kHz)

And REALLY?!?!?!?
Accessory/RS232 port for computer control using supplied cable

RS232 Port????? !!! New radio deserves new technology! Can you even buy a new computer with an RS232? Sure you can buy an adapter, but why?

Elecraft KX3 Transceiver - Preliminary Information

I sent an email to Elecraft not expecting a reply, I was wrong,

We use a TTL/RS232 interface for the KX3 (like many of our other small products) because USB requires far more parts (which won't fit) and generates a lot of RFI (especially audible on the low bands).

However, we're very likely to be offering two different KX3-to-PC cables: one that goes to RS232, and one that goes straight to USB.

That works for me, one less thing to buy :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.