• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

End Fed Matchbox Orientation??

CB590

W9WDX Member
Jun 29, 2016
Trenton Nj
www.590dx.com
I bought this simple 9:1 unun matchbox.

IMG_20170525_085931.jpg

Is it okay to run the antenna wire (right side) up say 6-8' then make a left, go over say 30' to a tree (on an upward slope)??

I've heard you need to orientate it so the antenna wire goes straight out in the direction and that going up is not preferred.. But I've seen half-square end fed drawings..

Here's my proposed layout

IMG_20170526_221344.jpg

Will be fed with a 1:1 balun and counterpoise wire(s) as well. Using 25'+ of LMR-240 to tuner and radio.

Opinions, thoughts..

id put the 9:1 on top of the pvc pipe and route your wire from there,, also id put the choke balun on your feedline just before it enters your house/shack to keep the rf outside, the braid of the coax is the other 1/2 of your antenna when using the 9:1 unun end fed

id put the 9:1 on top of the pvc pipe and route your wire from there,, also id put the choke balun on your feedline just before it enters your house/shack to keep the rf outside, the braid of the coax is the other 1/2 of your antenna when using the 9:1 unun end fed

Would that also be true if I opted to run multiple counterpoise wires off the matchbox?? Just inquiring..

Would that also be true if I opted to run multiple counterpoise wires off the matchbox?? Just inquiring..
No not with the counterpoise.
Whole idea is to keep the current off the coax.
Also I agree with Camaro ,put the matchbox on top of the pipe.Like I said said before the higher the feedpoint the better.
Have a look at these Vids I found of the effects of current mode currents on rx and tx.

And

Imagine the reading if he was using 100 watts and not 7 !
Also note worthy . On 15 and 20 meters current on the coax and rig was as high as the current on the radiator without the short counterpoise and choke.

Last edited:
No not with the counterpoise.
Whole idea is to keep the current off the coax.
Also I agree with Camaro ,put the matchbox on top of the pipe.Like I said said before the higher the feedpoint the better.
Have a look at these Vids I found of the effects of current mode currents on rx and tx.

And

Imagine the reading if he was using 100 watts and not 7 !
Also note worthy . On 15 and 20 meters current on the coax and rig was as high as the current on the radiator without the short counterpoise and choke.

I have a 1:1 choke/balun for use just before feeding the 9:1 matchbox to keep current down on the coax feed line. That's why I was going to use counterpoise wires on the matchbox also..

I forgot to mention there is an additional 4' below the PVC post where I was going to mount the matchbox and MFJ-915 1:1 choke if that matters.

And I don't think schedule 40 PVC conduit will support the matchbox being higher up with tension.. The PVC is only 1/2 id 3/4 od.. I can't really go wider because HOA rules say no antenna in the first place.. I do have a 1 1/4" od new wooden mop handle I could use maybe.. Same 6' height, but someone else said wood is bad because of moisture.. Granted the matchbox would be dangling off a bolt if I did this and not direct contact with the wood.

Well I got tree end up to 27'. Got wooden handle drilled with eyebolt. waiting on the matchbox, coax, etc. Feed point is at about 10'..

Any other tips??

Gonna try without 1:1, then with..
Same with counterpoise wires. Without then with..

Last edited:
The Par End Fedz antennas have a rating of 4.9 on eHam.
In 286 reviews I see no mention of anyone adding a balun or counterpoise or experiencing any problem with mode currents. Only great performance. Am confused.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3632

Better READ this:
https://www.w8ji.com/end-fed_1_2_wave_matching_system_end feed.htm

"It is electrically impossible to end-feed a 1/2 wl antenna without a good counterpoise at the feedpoint and have a totally "cold" feed line."

Last edited:
Yea it's always interesting to see some of those reviews...Most antennas are GREAT if you've Never compared them to anything other than a tuned dummy load.
EF works yes, but can be improved big time with a little good old fashion work...
i.e. grounding and radials make performance so much better.
I have made lots of good contacts off of VERY bad antennas, but make many more on antennas that require a little set-up and planing. Good antenna set-ups are for your friends:LOL:...Where they are not wearing headphones with the DSP cranked wide open and volume so loud your ears ring:whistle::LOL:
Today's world is about convenience...Take it out of the package...through it up and go...OMG it's fabulous:ROFLMAO:
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: 543_Dallas
Yea it's always interesting to see some of those reviews...Most antennas are GREAT if you've Never compared them to anything other than a tuned dummy load.
EF works yes, but can be improved big time with a little good old fashion work...
i.e. grounding and radials make performance so much better.
I have made lots of good contacts off of VERY bad antennas, but make many more on antennas that require a little set-up and planing. Good antenna set-ups are for your friends:LOL:...Where they are not wearing headphones with the DSP cranked wide open and volume so loud your ears ring:whistle::LOL:
Today's world is about convenience...Take it out of the package...through it up and go...OMG it's fabulous:ROFLMAO:
All the Best
Gary

I agree, Gary.
Thanks again.
Jim

Don't do the CB thing and compromise performance for a good SWR. and remember the swr reading will change as you add counterpoise and choke.

Another tip don't cut the wire for swr ,if you need to shorten the length just fold it back on it's self .

P.S BJ and I have worked each other on my endfed .

Reactions: CB590
After reading several things about coax as counterpoise I will try that route first. I have easy 25-28' before I get to the matchbox.

Do you think if I get a lot of RF coming back into shack I should add counterpoise wire first on the other bolt, or just plug in the 1:1 choke just outside my house wall, still leaving a good 25' of coax to radiate??

Keep in mind I have the MFJ-941e tuner.

Try it and see! Keep the coax in the clear if you can , remember it's radiating and is also potential noise pickup. You can always add a counterpoise later. Also make some sort of station ground !.

Reactions: binrat

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.