• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

End feed antenna

Did you see the part about having a tuner in your radio? That or an external one will be a necessity for multi-band use. It appears to be a simple end fed random length wire antenna. It will have all the characteristics of such an antenna, both good and bad. The only 'different' thing about it is the impedance matching transformer in the box. I wouldn't call it a 'balun', it's more than likely an 'unun', and only good on one particular band (no idea which one).
Will it work? Sure, just like any other end fed random length antenna. Would I buy one? Sorry, no. I'd rather make one myself at maybe a 1/10th the price. Does that no counterpoise or ground necessary remind you of an 'A99', or maybe an Imaxx??
- 'Doc

"....absolutely no ground connection is required for excellent performance..."

and

"...I did however design a ground connection into the matching device just in case you want to add a ground..."

I'm kinda confused,...... but,...... I bet ya that you will get mic bit if ya don't ground it<<More audio>>

... guess it just depends on your definition of 'excellence'... I mean, how do you know anything is getting out if it don't bite'cha?

Has any one got one of these or know of any one that uses one? If so are they worth a darn

I talked to someone who has used something like that. The design obviously isn't unique and you can make one for much less than purchasing. You can certainly have fun with it, but I can think of a lot of better designs that will also work a lot better. Depending on your place or circumstance, there are times when an end fed antenna might be very desirable.

I like this quotation from the page...
"I can state for certain is that this design outperformed my expectations."

Set your expectations low enough and a wet string will exceed them. :)

(y) I love the way some ads are worded. "It worked the last time I used it." is my favourite. What he does not tell you is that the last time he unplugged it he dropped it down the stairs while putting it away. :LOL:

Reactions: 1 person
Friend of mine bought one of those and said it sucked. I think he mostly fell for the sellers hype. I see he now calls it the QSO-King.

Lordy.

Got my General last March and tried to get on the air with a mini G5RV in the attic over the garage. Antena has to be stealth at my QTH. Antenna worked but jammed the DirecTV reception. Ordered the end-fed antenna from the Hawaii Emergency Amateur Radio Club, ran it outside from a corner of the house to a tree, about 9 feet up, and it's great. 35 watts, PSK-31, I've worked South Africa, New Zealand, the southern tip of Argentina, Asiatic Russia, tons of Europe, Canada, and, of course WAS from my Florida QTH. Worked Alaska on 10 meter phone.

Kinda deaf below 40 meters but great on 40 on up.

And profits go to support the club which is a nice thing.

They're selling it on E-Bay:

EARC End Fed 6 - 40 meter HF Ham Antenna | eBay

The club site goes into it in detail:

Emergency Amateur Radio Club - Hawaii

73 y'all

I have one and its actually done well compared to the other configurations I've tried. I'm fairly limited on what I can get away with here, no monster trees anywhere in this newer neighborhood so I have to make do. A friend bought one and has great success so I grabbed one and tossed it between the roof and couple 25' birch trees and I've been satisfied. Better than a wet string, but haven't had a long path QSO to S. Africa yet... almost though. Can you build one cheaper, sure you can just don't factor your time and travel buying the parts and putting it all together. When I go to a candy store I never come out with just what I started out to buy. I do use a tuner and I did attach a ground. Its discreet enough I've had no complaints, if they were to squawk it would be the Solarcon (A99) vertical sticking in the air. BTW the wire beats the vertical 2 to 1.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.