• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ERF2030+ new version indestructible?

rabbiporkchop

Jan 18, 2007
pennsylvania
Has anybody tested these things under open/short conditions?
I'm kinda curious how much abuse they can handle. RF Parts sells them in beta-matched sets as well.
Screenshot_20171122-015956.png

Last edited:

Called up Eric and left a message on his machine. Gonna order a couple dozen and check them out. Want to talk to him and ask him for some info on these. See if he has a spec sheet for them as well.
I was informed that Eric can beta-match them for you. I guess I was wrong about RF Parts doing the beta-matching.

not to be rude but if the radios are working why mess it up?
A radio with IMD is always an excuse to eliminate that IMD which wouldn't be considered messing it up.
Improving the durability of a radio is always a good thing. Having beta matched transistors makes it easier to set bias voltage at the proper level since you can use the same voltage for each transistor instead of playing with the voltage of mismatched transistors to get the curves the same. I believe this is the first time anyone has offered beta-matched mosfets for sale.

Last edited:
not to be rude but if the radios are working why mess it up?
Good question.
While I haven't had any problems with MOSFET failure; that doesn't mean that someone will either abuse it (allowing too much output coming thru these devices) or screw it up with a poor antenna match or even just shorting it out.

The MOSFET used in CB radios were not intentionally engineered for use in RF circuits; they were designed for much lower frequencies in switching-type power supplies - for example. However, some had experimented and found they will work/'switch' up to 27Mhz and a little beyond that.

But to have a MOSFET designed specifically to be used in HF settings will take re-designing the silicon used and the die. That is my question for Eric Lewis of Palomar Inc; just how did they make it more dependable?

Most - if not all - of the CB radios being mfd any more all use the MOSFET device. Cost is why, since the bipolar devices are sold for more money. Go figure - since the mfg process isn't all that much different AFAIK.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
From RFParts.com..
The ERF2030+ feature new silicon wafer designs with greatly improved quality and durability. Palomar’s new wafer technology creates a new level of ruggedness for these RF power MOSFETs that are now able to withstand all adverse conditions - high heat, high VSWR, high voltages and current levels.

They are priced well enough, only thing is I like having a datasheet to work with.
I like the fact that Mitsubishi has made a mosfet specifically for RF, RD16HHF1.

Reactions: Robb
While I haven't had any problems with MOSFET failure; that doesn't mean that someone will either abuse it (allowing too much output coming thru these devices) or screw it up with a poor antenna match or even just shorting it out.

While you have had good luck with the MOSFETs in CB radios please don't assume that just because others haven't, that they have improperly operated them ;)

Existing 5 Layer MOSFET Wafer Technology:

US_products-images-sugarfreewafer-coconut.png

And the NEW!! 10 Layer MOSFET Wafer Technology with quality coating for for better durability in high VSWR conditions:

1200px-Tunnocks-Caramel-Wafer-Split.jpg

Last edited:
While you have had good luck with the MOSFETs in CB radios please don't assume that just because others haven't, that they have improperly operated them ;)

Existing 5 Layer MOSFET Wafer Technology:

US_products-images-sugarfreewafer-coconut.png

And the NEW!! 10 Layer MOSFET Wafer Technology with quality coating for for better durability in high VSWR conditions:

1200px-Tunnocks-Caramel-Wafer-Split.jpg
OK cookie . . . ;)

Complaints about MOSFETS popping do happen when they are pushed too far. This has been well documented. Even experimented and seen it for myself. The Uniden 980's pop them when someone gets in there and twiddles it up. Works for awhile; then pops. No grey area there. The 2970N2's with the 200w MOSFET amp fails when people push it up; also well documented. The list goes on.

MOSFETs are in the future; there is no turning back. So they have to make them better. The new high powered 50v MOSFETs churn out some real watts and can even be dead shorted and still live on. Dunno if that if that is what Eric has now; doubtful. We will see . . .

EDIT:
I'd agree that for mfrs to dump the MOSFETs into a radio and not explain to the customers who would treat the radio they same as they would a non-MOSFET radio - and then they fail - is a bit of a ripoff to the public who uses/buys them in good faith.

Last edited:
DESCRIPTION:
Third generation Power MOSFETs from Vishay provide the designer with the best combination of fast switching, ruggedized device design, low on-resistance and cost-effectiveness. The TO-220AB package is universally preferred for all commercial-industrial applications at power dissipation levels to approximately 50 W. The low thermal resistance and low package cost of the TO-220AB contribute...

ERF2030+ = SiHF520 ?? {how cool, they even put HF in the name}
;)

Last edited:
Reactions: rabbiporkchop
DESCRIPTION:
Third generation Power MOSFETs from Vishay provide the designer with the best combination of fast switching, ruggedized device design, low on-resistance and cost-effectiveness. The TO-220AB package is universally preferred for all commercial-industrial applications at power dissipation levels to approximately 50 W. The low thermal resistance and low package cost of the TO-220AB contribute...

ERF2030+ = SiHF520 ?? {how cool, they even put HF in the name}
;)
LeapFrog do you know a gentleman named Sam in Roanke VA?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated