• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

eSSB Audio - in your ear

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
This is an online recording of a AM broadcast show "Amateur Radio This Week" that talked about eSSB audio in particular. They discuss its history, implementation, legality, and its use. It is about 29 1/2 minutes in length, and be sure to have either nice headphones on or use nice speakers to do it justice. You might want to get yourself a cup of coffee, water, or soda before you sit down and listen:

http://www.nu9n.com/images/twiar_630.mp3

In my humble and professional opinion ESSB is stupid. If you want the higher audio quality then simply switch to double sideband full carrier AM but oh no THAT would be a terrible thing for all those SSB'ers to do wouldn't it? I, mean switch to AM mode? That awfull mode that consumes so much more bandwidth and is a bane to SSB operators everywhere? That seems to be a step backwards in technology compared to trying to squeeze 10 KHz of audio into a 3 KHz bandwidth. It's kind of like putting lipstick on a pig. In the end it's still a pig. That's just my opinion after having properly operated AM stations both as an amateur radio operator and professionally on the broadcast bands for over 20+ years. YMMV.

Nice sounding pig - too . . .

But when you only have 150 Hertz or so of bandwidth it tends to get a liltte crowded with all the pigs in a very small pen. kinda like cb radio due to it's popularity and unavailability of bandwidth.

Them that has get more and them that don't, don't.

...If you want the higher audio quality then simply switch to double sideband full carrier AM...

Funny. And here I thought that AM just uses twice the bandwith+ without extra fidelity.

From Wikipedia:
Amplitude modulation produces a modulated output signal that has twice the bandwidth of the original baseband signal. Single-sideband modulation avoids this bandwidth doubling, and the power wasted on a carrier, at the cost of somewhat increased device complexity.

:whistle:

Funny. And here I thought that AM just uses twice the bandwith+ without extra fidelity.

From Wikipedia:

:whistle:

Tune to an AM broadcast station sometime and switch to SSB and have a listen at the difference in quality. Sure the quality difference is mainly due to narrower receiver bandwidths but that is my point. Pretty much all AM receivers have a much wider filter and the RX audio is indeed much better. It's not all about how much you can squeeze through a TX filter. It's just as much about what the guy on the receiving end can detect from the signal in the first place. Why bother to modify gear for wider TX and RX bandwidths as well as use a rack full of unnecessary equipment when simple DSB AM takes care of most of it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.