• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

EVER HAD A VISIT FROM THE FCC ???

unit_399

EL CAPO
Jun 17, 2008
ALEJANDRIA, COLOMBIA SA
Ever had a visit from the FCC enforcement folks ??? Tell us about it.

Here's mine.

In 1978, I lived in Indianapolis. The cb boom was going full tilt, and I was doing a lot of cb tune-ups/mods out of my home. There was a cb shop on Michigan avenue in Indy that had gone out of business. So I talked to the owner of the property about renting the place. He also was the owner of the Dearborn hotel, and owned all of the business locations in the entire block. This was a "depressed area" to put it mildly, and not a very hot location for a biz.
So, as part of the rental agreement, he agreed to let me put a CB antenna atop the 22 story Dearborn Hotel.

Now , here is a little history. Broadcast radio station WFMS was the FIRST fm stereo station in the world. Its studio and transmitter were on the top floor of the Dearborn, because the Dearborn was located at one of the highest points in Indianapolis. On the roof of the Dearborn, you could look down on all of Indy from any direction.

In 1975, WFMS moved to another location, and removed their tower from atop the Dearborn. When I installed my antenna (an Antron 99 w/ Ground plane kit) on the hotel, I bolted it directly to the WFMS antenna ground pipe on the hotel roof. With a box stock President Washington base, I was able to talk to stations in Chicago, Louisville, St Louis, ect. without any problem. Even further at night.

After we'd been there for 6 weeks or so, the FCC showed up. They asked to see my station, antenna, and amplifiers (if any). They took my base radio out to their truck to check it out. Then we took the elevator to the roof to look at my antenna. After inspecting everything, the FCC guy said, "You've got a great setup here."

We ran the store for 3 years, and when the boom ended, closed shop. There were times when the Dx was running and I had an amp in line that I thought I was the king of the world.

Let's hear what you guys have to say about your CB days.

Last edited:

Back in the mid-1970s before I bought the business I run now, the boss would answer the phone when it rang. Answering machines only became legal during this time, and cost stupid money when they did hit the market.

One morning sometime after the new yellow pages had been published with our ad in it, the boss got a call asking if we sold "Lin-ee-yur" amplifiers. We didn't, and that was his reply. A polite "thank you" and the caller hung up. The boss thought little of it, except that the caller hadn't asked for a "Leen-yar", or a "Kicker".

Next year, around the same time he got the same call. Same voice. Same answer. This time he mentioned to me that the caller "didn't sound like he was from around here", especially with the "Lin-ee-yur" pronunciation. I asked "Chicago accent, maybe?" The nearest FCC district office for Louisville was Chicago at the time. He said "maybe".

Next year, same call at around the same time.

My boss was a smart ass and told the guy "see ya next year" before hanging up.

Can't remember what year they finally figured it out and stopped asking.

That was in the days of a CB license and call sign.

To apply for a license, you signed your name to an application where you committed yourself to follow the rules of the day. Those rules obligated you to allow inspection "at a reasonable time" of your station and equipment. If the FCC guy looked through the window before you let him in and saw you slide the linear under the bed you were still hosed. Just possessing the amplifier would get you cited, hooked up or not. The "CB License" went away in the early 80s.

License free is different. Unless they bring a US Marshall and a search warrant you can tell them to go fly a kite.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
I had one of their trucks sitting down the road listening in the area looking for a nuisance CB'er causing interference in some of the televisions, stereos, and other equipment.
I started transmitting right around 1:00 P.M. and at 1:15 they were knocking on my door. It seems one of my neighbors had complained directly to the FCC without even talking to me first. I opened the door and there were the men of the FCC asking to inspect my station. I showed my fancy printed and framed license and lead them upstairs to my radio room. They just looked around and asked about all of the amplifiers sitting on the shelves. I told them some are my collection and other are contract repair units. Then they asked if they were for connected to a CB transceiver. I said of course not I am a ham radio operator and do not use CB's. Satisfied they were leaving and on the way one commented on how nice my radio sounded. That was it.
Unit 399 Height makes might on antennas

Unit_399 did you grant them permission take the radio to the truck, or did they illegally seize it?

I told them to do whatever they needed to do. I knew that my station was 100% legal, and I was happy to have them check it out. My Washington base had never been opened, and they knew it. Once they saw that my install was legit, their attitude changed and they were very friendly. We had lunch at the hotel grill and talked for quite a while. The head FCC guy (who had gone up on the roof of the hotel with me) gave me several suggestions on how to improve my antenna installation. His business card is one of my proudest possessions.

My buddy has a shop in Oklahoma and he gets hit by them about every 5 years or so.

unit_399 how did you do with the storms down your way? was thinking about you when they were hitting the southeast areas.

Unit_399 did you grant them permission take the radio to the truck, or did they illegally seize it?
Even though a license is not required for CB you automatically give your consent for inspection by using public airwaves. The freedom for the FCC to inspect your station is in part 95 and part 97 at reasonable hours without a warrant. I have seen this before with other operators in which the operator denied permission and was restrained while the Federal Marshalls were called to come with the search warrant. The FCC was PO'd, the Federal Marshalls were PO'd.(They had better things to do) The search warrant arrived and they went in and searched the entire house looking for whatever they could use to bust the guy.
At his trial both the FCC and the Federal Marshalls told the judge the offender was uncooperative and hampered the investigation which PO'd the judge. Their attitude was if you have nothing to hide you will give your consent without a warrant. The house looked like tornado had blown through the house and stayed a while. They did find linears connected to radios and antennas. All confiscated and a huge fine levied against him for every imaginable infraction they could find.
So if they knock, pour them a cup of coffee give them a doughnut and relax.
If you have nothing to hide you will have no problem.

I didn't mean to derail the thread. I forgot that the rules were different back then. I was basing the question on current part 95 rules. Currently part 95 only requires to make the station available for inspection. I see no mention of forfeiture for inspection.

As for part 97, I still haven't found where it mentions anything about station inspection. I'll have to sit down and give the boring parts a good mind numbing read.

... part 95 only requires to make the station available for inspection. I see no mention of forfeiture for inspection...

Well, you answered your own statement ."... available for inspection..."

The FCC will provide you with a receipt for all equipment subject to off site inspection.

There is no "forfeiture of equipment". by definition, the receipt makes the equipment non forfeit.

the inspection can be conducted wherever the inspecting authority deems fit.

also, See post # 10

I see no mention of forfeiture for inspection..
They confiscated the illegal equipment, forfeiture can only be done in the court room.
Two completely different meanings. For example if you get caught with a stolen vehicle the police are not going to allow you to drive away with it.
In the end it cost him much more than the equipment was worth.

They probably would not have been so rough on him if he had just let them in to inspect the station.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.