• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

fair price for ts530s?

crappykraco

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Aug 6, 2014
What is a fair price to pay for a ts530s?
One is being sold locally with a mc50 desk mic and mfj versa tuner 2.

I think the old hybrid Kenwoods have crossed the line from "what's fair" to "how bad to you want it". I would say if it's in decent shape $250-$275 for the radio and $45-$55 fpr the MC-50 in good shape. Then again it depends on how bad you really want it. I stopped buying old tube and even solid state rigs years ago. It's worth it to me to spend a few extra bucks for equipment manufactured in this century. More features, less headaches, more on the air time.

Reactions: Tallman
I have a 520 that I scored for $125 bucks. That is not the "norm". I'm in agreement with RatsoW8 on the prices, but disagree about the old hybrids. The Kenwood hybrids (TS 520, 530, 820, and 830) are built like tanks, and work really well, and are very much user servicable. Parts are still widely available, "support group" online via Yahoo, K4EAA and WB4HFN web sites, and there are still several other really good techs out there if you get in over your head. The MC-50 mics sounds terrific on them, too. LOVE my TS-520!

Brett

Reactions: hotrod
i agree . i had a 830s with option to buy but back then i thought i needed
radio with bells and whistles. regreat it still to this day. if i had the cash
id give ya 150-175 dollars

I have an 820 and an 830.

Both work great, very user friendly and fantastic receive.

the 530 has tuning slugs that due to age are easy to break so I would check out the rig on the air all bands and modes to make sure it is on frequency both tr and rx.

Fair price $175 to $250 depending on condition and how bad you want it.
the tuner is an expense you may not need if you build/use resonant antennas

Thanks.

There are two available locally right now one was donated to the club and they're selling it via sealed bid.
The other is 375 for radio mic and tuner. Both are supposed to be in good working order.

You are probably pretty safe with a club rig. Ask the guys in the club if they have used it on field day, contests, etc. You're bound to get good input as to whether it's worth it or not. The 530 has a digital readout, WARC bands, and IF shift, the MC-50 mic, and a tuner (you didn't say which model), but most decent ones are worth 75-100 bucks... that seems like a decent deal to me. You don't have to buy a power supply, either, since the hybrids plug into your AC outlet.

Some argue against the old rigs for newbies, but I do think it is cool to learn how to tune the output of the finals and retune for each band. Yeah, the way they did it "back in the day". And the Kenwood hybrid tx/rx audio is hard to beat, even compared to new rigs. I wouldn't hesitate at dropping 375 on the combo you're talking about. As for the sealed bid, you probably won't have much comptetition, since the club guys already have their setups, and the other newbies are probably scared of such an old rig. You might get it as cheap as I got my 520. :)

Brett

Don't know if I might be better off buying a newer entry level rig the alinco srt8

That's a good option and I never said I didn't like the old Kenwoods. I've had them all over the years and had to work on them and have them repaired. So, for not many more bones you get a rig that has WARC coverage, general coverage receiver and a slew of functions the old Kenwoods don't. Really this conversation could go on forever singing the praises of old and tubes and Kenwoods by guys who like and still have them. But you are the only one who knows what you want.

I'm surprised no one has made the "there's nothing like the smell and glow of tubes" comment...lol I do agree with that though!!

Reactions: 2RT307
Take a lok at some other rigs.

IE shack in the boxes.

Icom 706mkIIG is hf/vhf/uhf. all mode can be had for around $550 and up on used market.

This covers most everything you privileges allow and in a small foot print.

Do not be to quick to just jump to an HF rig, you may enjoy the 2 meter peater stuff. Never know until you try.

Craigslist, QTH and QRZ are some places to look at used rigs.

While you are looking you can be building your antenna farm.

I for one have to give two thumbs up to the classic Kenwood hybrids. I have a Yeasu FT-857 but actually prefer the Kenwood TS-820S even though it does not have WARC band coverage. My 820S is near mint and still has the original 12BY7 driver and J2001A finals which are the same as the 6146B. I also have a TS-520 which is also in near mint condx, at least I hope it is. I haven't seen it in almost two years since I loaned it out to my former boss. hybrids are a good starter radio for someone IF they understand the limitations of them and understand the tuning procedure. 100 watts from a pair of 6146B's will work just as much DX as 100 watts from a pair of transistors. Having said that I do agree that the value point does run in favour of the solid state gear as you do get more bang for the dollar as far as features.

OK. Found out the sealed bid radio is NOT the ts530s.

FOR AUCTION BY SEALED BID: KENWOOD TS-520SE

MINIMUM BID: $250.00

The TS530S is for sale by a club member, and he is willing to set the radio up and demonstrate that it functions properly. Maybe I can talk him into teaching me the tuning procedure at the same time.

Sounds lke a great idea seeing it work before you purchase it.

It comes down to what you want to spend your $$$ on.

As Mentioned before it is a great starter rig. And are fun to operate.

It WILL require some maintenance sometime in the future as any rig that old will.

http://www.oldhamdave.com/ts-520s_520se.htm

Little peak inside...I agree great rig to start on...Add a Shure 444 desk mic and you have got yourself a winner.... Make a great back-up when you move on to other rigs.
Lot of nice add-on's also
Matching speaker
External VFO (for working DX stations running split frequency)
Rare but out there: 6m tranverter...Opps won't work on the SE...no matter
Good Luck
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: wavrider

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated