• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FCC Reverses ALJ’s Decision, Revokes Convicted Sex Offender’s Amateur Radio License

ARRL

Nov 15, 2008
The FCC has reversed the decision of an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) who ruled in 2010 that David Titus, KB7ILD, of Seattle, Washington, could keep his Amateur Radio license in the wake of his conviction for a sex-related crime 17 years earlier. In his March 9, 2010, Initial Decision, ALJ Richard L. Sippel determined that Titus “has been a law-abiding member of his community for many years” a...

Continue reading...

I get the concern over the offender, but I'm confused about procedures.

I thought the FCC was bound to follow the ALJ's decision unless it was reversed by an appellate tribunal. The whole reason to demand a hearing before an ALJ is because you disagree with an agency's action. If the agency can simply disregard the judge's ruling, what's the point of having an administrative hearing (trial) before an administrative law judge (ALJ).

Also, I can't believe a March 9, 2010 decision wasn't reversed until November 10, 2014 - 4 1/2 years later. That is untimely.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.