• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Finally bought a Sirio 5000 to try...

The Jerk

May 6, 2008
Reading, PA
Well, I just bought a Sirio "P-5000" from HY Electronics...hopefully I bought the right one. I've been curious about these for several years now, with everyone stating how much better than a Wilson they are, which is pretty much the benchmark. Decided after reading another thread on the Sirio today, to final buy one to try.

I've got two Wilson 5000s in use right now...one is probably 15 years old, the other is about two years old. Both are roof mounted, so should be easy to swap the Sirio into the mix and see if all the hype stands. I think I'll install this on my daily driver (the 15 year old Wilson), and if I like it; order a second one for the truck. I'm running a TS HDV350 in the DD, so I'll be putting around 50/200 watts into it.

I've been pleased with my Wilsons, haven't any of the issues that seem to "plague" them supposedly. Should be a good comparison...I've been running the Wilson on the DD for about eight years, its well tested...

Will report back with what I find...

Reactions: Grogan

You won't be disappointed. The Wilson's are good antennas but you'll love the sirio 5000. Got mine at DNJ. I've read alot of post on the sirio 5000 series antennas and have yet to find a bad comment from anyone that actually owns one. Very good investment. (y)

I couldn't tell for sure...their description is pretty much lacking anything substantial.

What's the difference between the Performer and the Turbo??

I think the only difference is the Performer has the "handle" to adjust the antenna angle, vs. the turbo which *seems* to have the screw adjustment for angle.

Simon has some vids if you want to check out his YouTube channel:
Sirio Performer 5000 / Turbo 5000 - YouTube

RT307

Reactions: 1 person
sirio_turbo_performer_5000.jpg

Turbo 5000

Oops posted the wrong pic. Meant to post the turbo 5000 antenna. :oops:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 163
Turbo 5000 10 @ 11 meter antenna

Turbo 5000 pic still didn't show up... Googled turbo and that other pic popped up.

Got the antenna in the mail today, haven't even gotten it out of the package.

First impression: I was expecting a tall stiff whip based on everything I read...stinger isn't any stiffer than my Wilson's? At least not enough to take notice about.

I will probably install it this weekend...I have other projects going right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Well, couple things right out of the package...the whip has no tip cover on it (cheap?) and both halves of the base is tapped (there is no way to put it together because the handle bottoms out before it should).

So in short, without drilling out the one half of the base; I have to ship this one back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

I hate to hear that. The antenna should have a black rubber tip. Wonder if they sent you the wrong whip of worse than that sent you a "return" item. Hope you get it worked out.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.