• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Finally bought a Sirio 5000 to try...

Got the antenna in the mail today, haven't even gotten it out of the package.

First impression: I was expecting a tall stiff whip based on everything I read...stinger isn't any stiffer than my Wilson's? At least not enough to take notice about.

I will probably install it this weekend...I have other projects going right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Not sure what stinger you got but the correct sirio stinger is allot thicker, stiffer, and comes with a black cap. The Wilson stinger is no comparison to the correct Sirio stinger. You will love the Sirio. I hope you also got the matching magnet mount unless you hard mount it..

Last edited:
Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Not sure what stinger you got but the correct sirio stinger is allot thicker, stiffer, and comes with a black cap. The Wilson stinger is no comparison to the correct Sirio stinger. You will love the Sirio. I hope you also got the matching magnet mount unless you hard mount it..

My stinger on my Wilson 5000 is much thicker and stiffer than the stinger on my Sirio P5000. It did have the black cap and my antenna came with the scratch off thing direct from DNJ.

My stinger on my Wilson 5000 is much thicker and stiffer than the stinger on my Sirio P5000. It did have the black cap and my antenna came with the scratch off thing direct from DNJ.

Something is wrong somewhere then. I have purchased them in the UK and also from H&Y here. The Wilson stinger is like butter compared to the Sirio stinger on the three I have purchased. I sure hope they haven't changed anything and got cheap on us.

Something is wrong somewhere then. I have purchased them in the UK and also from H&Y here. The Wilson stinger is like butter compared to the Sirio stinger on the three I have purchased. I sure hope they haven't changed anything and got cheap on us.

Search for my post with pictures of the Sirio compared with the Wilson and you can plainly see how much thicker it is..

Don't know what to say. I can only post about my experience. Maybe something changed. Is your Wilson a 5000 or a 1000?

I will say this, my older sirio 5000 performer whip was over all thicker than the new turbo 5000 whip is, don't know if they made a change or not but I do know that my older (1yr+) 5000 whip has a larger diameter than the turbo 5000 whip that I purchased a few months ago, I was going to use my old whip but it will not fit into the turbo 5000 base load, I do have a new 5000 performer that I haven't used yet, will check it out and see if there is a difference from the original one I bought over a year ago. Will update when I can.

222DBFL, you're correct. The Performer whips are thicker than the Turbo and the Megawatt ranges of Sirio mobile antennas. What that does is give them a bit wider bandwidth...OTTOMH it was an extra few hundred kHz.

Last edited:
Reactions: 222DBFL
Interesting. Mine is a Performer 5000 but compared side by side the Wilson stinger is thicker and stiffer. I actually prefer the more flexy whip because my truck is pretty tall and flex means no damage when the occasional tree limb gets wacked.

Reactions: hotrod
Yes they are, I have all three and the megawatt 4000 is the tallest and does work the best or has so far for me for dx'ing, but the turbo 5000 has been serving me well so it has been up for a bit now. Shoot I have a brand new performer 5000 I have never used yet lol. I am quite happy with the sirio antennas myself and would recommend them for sure. But yes the whips are all definitely different and are made specially for each antenna. If power is not an issue the megawatt 4000 is a good dx'ing antenna that is pretty broad banded. I like the design of the megawatt base load but the key is a pita when you can't find it lol! Anyway thanks for the repose and god bless.

Whilst thicker whips give you a few hundred kHz more bandwidth < 2:1 the lower flexibility puts more stress on the bottom section of the antenna and the mounting point on the vehicle especially when driving under things like max height barriers at drive-thru's. Given that the narrower bandwidth is still plenty for CB use then my personal preference is for the thinner whip to reduce any chance of damage from striking overhead objects with the whip.

Comparing the Megawatt 4000 to the 3000 there is quite a noticeable difference on the S meter - a S4 signal goes over S5 for example. Comparing the Megawatt 4000 to the Performer/Turbo 5000 there's less of a difference. I'd say that if you already have the Megawatt 4000 the difference is so little that it isn't worth spending money to buy the Performer/Turbo 5000.

Basically the more wire in the air the better the performance. The 4000/5000 whips are a good foot longer than the 3000 whips however the difference between the 4000 and 5000 whips is maybe an inch or so if that.

In regards to power, nobody really needs any more than 100W either base or mobile. If mother nature isn't playing you're not going to work much DX even if you run 1kW in the car. Comparing 100W to 1kW it is just 2 S points different to the DX station at the other end but installing 1kW in the car presents a whole raft of problems, many of which can't be overcome in a modern car.

I have used a Siro 5000PL (Mag Mount) for about a year and have had zero issues. As a matter of fact I have hit an overhead object and it bent the whip about 6" from the top w/o issue. I use to own a Wilson 5000 but from my expereince I will stay with Siro.

Last edited:
I have hit so much stuff with my sirio turbo 5000 and it still works like champ! At 14+ Ft to the tip it catches everything from trees to low over passes. It does get a bit bent but straighten it out and it is good to go. Mind you I don't think many if any are running this antenna at more than 14ft to the tip. It is a well built antenna and will take a bang no problem. You can set it up to where if you do hit some thing hard it will fold the antenna down instead of breaking it. All in all I have been very satisfied with the sirio antennas and the performance is good as well been for a mag mount setup!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.