• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FINE TUNE CB SHOP FOR REAL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The proper term for that is called "Sibilance" . You should have learned the from Mark because he knows it all.

In the Pro audio world, it is regarded as a bad sound engineer who can't EQ or use other de-essing techniques properly.

In the radio world, that's the last thing I want to hear is any sibilance!
"Forry, wrong number" isn't my idea of intelligibility.

Reactions: LeapFrog
Last edited:
I want to sound the way I do.

You already do. I want my ts-50 to work well on AM cb which it does on tx.
The rx would be great if the world of sound operators would clean up the wideband b.s splatter boxes and run clean signals.
I wish you could listen to the ts-50 on AM in the truck for just a few minutes.
Then you would realize how bad the export and junk cb equipment really is.

What really pisses me off is talking to another driver with a clean signal , and then here comes a splatter box and loads the front end up.

"Incorrectly" in the context below means for linear, non-splattering, service.

AM linear amplifiers are often operated incorrectly. This is especially true in CB service, where virtually 100% are designed and operated incorrectly, but CB operators generally accept wide signals and poor amplifiers. CB amplifiers are often set up to process the AM signal and modify the signal like an RF speech processor would. RF processing makes meters swing, and makes audio sound heavy, but it also creates very wide bandwidths. This is unacceptable for other applications, where bands are policed or where people show respect for other users.

The problem with CB amplifiers is that some of the renegade nonsense theory or improper operation is brought into amateur radio use. This is especially true when amateurs or Hams use CB linears or CB-design style amplifiers on amateur bands.

It all depends what you want.
Some people just want a loud radio like a Cobra 29 LTD with a clipped limiter.
These types of people would talk down the best work because it "wasn't loud enough", they simply didn't care about the "RF nastiness" and I think they need to be in a special class of operator, now that we are in the 21st century...

But I guess if that one neighbor from 1978 walked all over me, I'd be here in 2017 trying to cover 'mud ducks' by snippin' and clippin' everything I own. HaHa I laugh so hard, because it's the same operators in my area that are bleeding for 20+ years....
Nobody on CB around me cares, but I do and it hurts because if you can't key up and make 'em go quite, nobody will have to respect how clean your radio is.

It's a battle of brawn not brain, so in the end the big class c with a clipped limiter gets heard in DX land, and me and my 4 watts are just peeing in the wind..

I have big dreams of a monstrous antenna that could make these locals pump the brakes, all with no foot warmer. <- This is what I want, lulz.
-LeapFrog

Last edited:
Some people just want a loud radio like a Cobra 29 LTD with a clipped limiter.
These types of people would talk down the best work because it "wasn't loud enough", they simply didn't care about the "RF nastiness" and I think they need to be in a special class of operator, now that we are in the 21st century...

But I guess if that one neighbor from 1978 walked all over me, I'd be here in 2017 trying to cover 'mud ducks' by snippin' and clippin' everything I own. HaHa I laugh so hard, because it's the same operators in my area that are bleeding for 20+ years....
Nobody on CB around me cares, but I do and it hurts because if you can't key up and make 'em go quite, nobody will have to respect how clean your radio is.

It's a battle of brawn not brain, so in the end the big class c with a clipped limiter gets heard in DX land, and me and my 4 watts are just peeing in the wind..

True. I guess we have to give up and except the facts.
But in the meantime see if you can cut off the nasty signals so i can run the ts-50 . i will be much happier:)

True. I guess we have to give up and except the facts.
But in the meantime see if you can cut off the nasty signals so i can run the ts-50 . i will be much happier:)
Yeah, the locals don't take too kindly to being told how many channels wide they are bleeding over!
If you come across like a smarty pants they will only increase the nasty RF train, I don't like to talk down on others but some of these people "straight up" remind me of the playground days.

icu782.gif

Run your TS-50 all day, it won't be me that bleeds on you. 4-10?
I may britch and complain that my four watts are not enough, but i'm not salty (or stupid) enough to clip out the AMC and think for one second I'm getting out at a greater distance..

I won't let others dictate my actions, and I refuse to continue the cycle of tree-top-tall beyond a strong, clean signal.
Nobody likes to feel like the small guy in the room, and so I see why everyone twists knobs and clip diodes in a vain attempt to be heard over the "big guys".. but to carry on like that, for decades worrying about if the mic gain is turned up too high or what ever so they don't sound like cotton-chewing fools.. It's all a waste and a huge hurt on the CB, people could actually work QRP 11 if it wasn't for the poisoned mind set that is all about being "bigger and better than you"..

But it is a macho radio service after all, I've got to ignore somethings If I want to find the 'good' choke and puke, that 100 mile coffee, and also locate some lot lizards.
Oh wait, I don't drive those trucks.. What am I doing here, lol.

Edit: I have a few old school operators around that run "loud and proud", but they are respectful and courteous. "Good Fellas" if you will.

Last edited:
There you go again misrepresenting the source of information.
that's a direct quote from AB7IF himself. It's not like I pulled those words out of my rectum.

I misrepresented NOTHING. YOU said it here on this forum. Regardless of who told YOU that, YOU are the one that presented that theory here. You also swore up and down that copper antennas worked so much better for YOU than aluminum antennas for that very reason therefore you were perpetuating that claim.

Reactions: NZ8N and dave457
Yeah, the locals don't take too kindly to being told how many channels wide they are bleeding over!
If you come across like a smarty pants they will only increase the nasty RF train, I don't like to talk down on others but some of these people "straight up" remind me of the playground days.

Run your TS-50 all day, it won't be me that bleeds on you. 4-10?
I may britch and complain that my four watts are not enough, but i'm not salty (or stupid) enough to clip out the AMC and think for one second I'm getting out at a greater distance..

I won't let others dictate my actions, and I refuse to continue the cycle of tree-top-tall beyond a strong, clean signal.
Nobody likes to feel like the small guy in the room, and so I see why everyone twists knobs and clip diodes in a vain attempt to be heard over the "big guys".. but to carry on like that, for decades worrying about if the mic gain is turned up too high or what ever so they don't sound like cotton-chewing fools.. It's all a waste and a huge hurt on the CB, people could actually work QRP 11 if it wasn't for the poisoned mind set that is all about being "bigger and better than you"..

But it is a macho radio service after all, I've got to ignore somethings If I want to find the 'good' choke and puke, that 100 mile coffee, and also locate some lot lizards.
Oh wait, I don't drive those trucks.. What am I doing here, lol.

Back when I first started in 11m in the mid-late 70's people took pride in sounding good and you didn't have the loudness wars like today. Sure there was the odd one that cranked everything to eleven but they were the very small minority and were quickly ignored most of the time. After the 40 channel PLL radios came out things started to slide downhill it seems. Not that that had anything to do with it but that is just the time frame things happened. Most radios could be modded by adding a few switches or rewiring existing NB/ANL/PA switches and changing the PLL encoding to get extra channels. Then came clipped audio limiters etc. Now we have export radios that don't even have to follow much in the way of standards and a plethora of class C amps that meet NO quality standards at all so all bets are off when it comes to trying to have a clean band today.

Now we have export radios that don't even have to follow much in the way of standards and a plethora of class C amps that meet NO quality standards at all so all bets are off when it comes to trying to have a clean band today.
Don't let the Davemade crowd hear you say that, I heard them many times brag about their amps.

To them, it's all about efficiency in how much power out to power in to run the thing. That's what matters!

I believe this is what started the Davelied moniker. Their original specs shown the highest efficiency but it was at a misleading 20 volts, now their specs show power out at 20 and 14 volts.

I wonder if Hard-drive a.k.a. Mark Sherman and his 32 pill falls into that " it's all about efficiency category " .

no tour right it was a typo jack of all trades master of none. the radio mark did for my friend. sounds horrible. he sounds muffled. he sent it to bobs cb works great now. you will never convince me mark is what you praise him to be.

Reactions: NZ8N
Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.