• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FINE TUNE CB SHOP FOR REAL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow reading all this makes me glad I left 11meters when I did.
If i didnt still drive a truck, i would be long gone too.

I think this will help alot of operators.
https://www.w8ji.com/am_linear_amplifiers.htm

Based on the above, a perfect 100-watt PEP transmitter would have:

• 25 watts carrier power, as seen on any type of power meter without modulation
  • 37.5 watts average power, as seen on an average reading power meter with full, steady, modulation
  • 100 watts PEP, as seen on a true peak reading power meter with full modulation
  • Example 4 watt carrier on the Dosy meter with full modulation would be 6 watts.
  • This is just a easy way for the operator to have a clean signal . without having to purchase a true peak reading meter.
  • Whatever the carrier is divided in half then added to the carrier .
  • Problem is the operator will not like it on the dosy because it want have the massive swing.
  • But it will be 100% clean.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sonar
I misrepresented NOTHING. YOU said it here on this forum. Regardless of who told YOU that, YOU are the one that presented that theory here. You also swore up and down that copper antennas worked so much better for YOU than aluminum antennas for that very reason therefore you were perpetuating that claim.
I also made reference to the fact it was a direct quote from someone you guys had some respect for and that it wasn't me pulling theories out of my rectum.

Back when I first started in 11m in the mid-late 70's people took pride in sounding good and you didn't have the loudness wars like today. Sure there was the odd one that cranked everything to eleven but they were the very small minority and were quickly ignored most of the time. After the 40 channel PLL radios came out things started to slide downhill it seems. Not that that had anything to do with it but that is just the time frame things happened. Most radios could be modded by adding a few switches or rewiring existing NB/ANL/PA switches and changing the PLL encoding to get extra channels. Then came clipped audio limiters etc. Now we have export radios that don't even have to follow much in the way of standards and a plethora of class C amps that meet NO quality standards at all so all bets are off when it comes to trying to have a clean band today.

Very Good. I have a tx 300 built in the 80's It has a stiff regulated ab bias. It is the only cb amp i have ever seen with true bias. It uses the same bias scheme as the old metron 1000 hf linear that is no longer in production.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
It all depends what you want.

What you and i need is a good hf radio that will work well on tx / rx hf radio
at 100 watts pep with a 20-25 watt carrier and be Linear on AM mode.

https://www.w8ji.com/cb_amplifiers_convert_ham.htm FACTS.
That looks like a nice rig, but I don't need all that power or any of those bands. I get my enjoyment on a single frequency. I prefer to have the best sounding and best performing 4 watt export rig often mistaken for a more expensive hf rig. Different strokes for different folks.

That looks like a nice rig, but I don't need all that power or any of those bands. I get my enjoyment on a single frequency. I prefer to have the best sounding and best performing 4 watt export rig often mistaken for a more expensive hf rig. Different strokes for different folks.

True. we all have opinions. Main thing is to enjoy the hobby.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
He generally doesn't push things past 75% of what it's capable of doing, the rationale being 90% of a transistors gain occurs within the first 66% of its power dissipation so the extra heat generated by the extra 10% gain isn't worth having.
Removing distortion and cleaning up signals are his specialty.

I thought you might know what kind of power your radios produced. You can only get so much clean power from any transistor. No secret sauce needed if you follow the rules.

If i didnt still drive a truck, i would be long gone too.

I think this will help alot of operators.
https://www.w8ji.com/am_linear_amplifiers.htm

Based on the above, a perfect 100-watt PEP transmitter would have:

• 25 watts carrier power, as seen on any type of power meter without modulation
  • 37.5 watts average power, as seen on an average reading power meter with full, steady, modulation
  • 100 watts PEP, as seen on a true peak reading power meter with full modulation
  • Example 4 watt carrier on the Dosy meter with full modulation would be 6 watts.
  • This is just a easy way for the operator to have a clean signal . without having to purchase a true peak reading meter.
  • Whatever the carrier is divided in half then added to the carrier .
  • Problem is the operator will not like it on the dosy because it want have the massive swing.
  • But it will be 100% clean.
I had a qso with a station in (god my memory is bad) Kentucky (?) 121(?) yesterday on SSB. He sounded excellent and I had to ask what he was operating on. Icom 756 hiel pr78 something or another. No outbound gear. He also stated he didn't fool with the settings on the rig after it's initial half hour setup. I was so impressed. It truly sounded awesome. 73 PS This was on 11 meters by the way.

Reactions: NZ8N
Cool ...... that is what its all about. I know what you mean about awesome.
I ran the heil hc-4 element on the ts-50 AM for a while. You just cant get any
cb/ export to have the audio sound quality as the Hf rigs,(y)

Reactions: NZ8N
He sounded excellent and I had to ask what he was operating on. Icom 756
We hams have been saying this over and over and over, if you are running SSB no export/CB will sound better than a decent ham rig (even the older ones). If you want that big over the top AM audio then get a Cobra 29 but if you're an SSB person then you want a ham rig. If you have never used one you have no idea what you're missing.

We hams have been saying this over and over and over, if you are running SSB no export/CB will sound better than a decent ham rig (even the older ones). If you want that big over the top AM audio then get a Cobra 29 but if you're an SSB person then you want a ham rig. If you have never used one you have no idea what you're missing.

True, except I will tell people who do want a good SSB radio without going with a more expensive true HF and only wish to operate on 11 meters only, go with a RCI2950 or if they can find an unmolested President Lincoln or HR 2510. These radio's may in fact inspire them to maybe take it to the next level like I did and get licensed.

They are good for what they are but by no means on the same level as HF radio's and they weren't intended to be. The two I mentioned are only good to the fact because they don't drift and there audio is clear and these radio's don't have echo and other toys on them. I have owned both of these at one time and was happy with them and never saw the need to pull out the golden screwdriver and hack'em up or send it Fine-tune CB shop for the ultimate tweak!

Now that I have 2 nice HF rigs, I can't ever see going back to using those mentioned.

I do have a Uniden 980 SSB in my truck because I still monitor the CB band since I travel the highways for a living. I tried the SSB on this one and it works but the audio is kind of weak compared to the 2950 as I recall. Maybe this needs to get sent to Fine-tune CB shop?

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
True, except I will tell people who do want a good SSB radio without going with a more expensive true HF and only wish to operate on 11 meters only, go with a RCI2950 or if they can find an unmolested President Lincoln or HR 2510. These radio's may in fact inspire them to maybe take it to the next level like I did and get licensed.

They are good for what they are but by no means on the same level as HF radio's and they weren't intended to be. The two I mentioned are only good to the fact because they don't drift and there audio is clear and these radio's don't have echo and other toys on them. I have owned both of these at one time and was happy with them and never saw the need to pull out the golden screwdriver and hack'em up or send it Fine-tune CB shop for the ultimate tweak!

Now that I have 2 nice HF rigs, I can't ever see going back to using those mentioned.

I do have a Uniden 980 SSB in my truck because I still monitor the CB band since I travel the highways for a living. I tried the SSB on this one and it works but the audio is kind of weak compared to the 2950 as I recall. Maybe this needs to get sent to Fine-tune CB shop?
As much as I loved my HR2510 collection, I like this Anytone AT-6666 much better. SSB is similar to the 2510, but AM is phenomenal with the 6666. Another nice thing is with the 6666 you can see the screen from any angle unlike the 2510 which must be viewed head on.
at6666%20(3).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated