• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fixing external speaker pop

Sounds like RF getting in. Is the speaker wire shielded? I had speaker problems with RF with a stereo system, and replaced the 2-conductor speaker wire with shielded microphone wire, (shield with one conductor). Not exactly the same problem, but the RF may be affecting an OP Amp within. Just a thought.

I ran into this on a speaker I have and was able to cut it way down by putting a cap across the + and - leads of the speaker. I tried different values untill the pop died out. forget just which one used but I know I tried 3 different ones. 220uf electro a 470uf and a 1000uf cap and one of them helped cut it way down. even made some of the hiss and static go way down. this was originally a PA speaker I used. helped filter out a lot of noise. not sure if this will help but worth a try if you can get to the plus and minus wires right at the speaker.

Mark -

you might want to give something like this a try.

1. Install this in your speaker(s).

plug.png

2. Then build this.

relay.png

You will also need to build a mike plug to mike jack adapter(s) to connect to the xmit lead in your various radios.

OPERATION:
When the relay unit is unplugged, the spkr functions normally. When the relay is connected, the spkr output runs thru the relay contacts. At keyup, the relay coil is connected to ground actuating the circuit, but the R1/C1 combo delays the relay turn-on long enough to shunt the pop to ground.

This is a good afternoon project. 73s.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.