• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Flagpole antenna

Oldtimer

May 20, 2008
Stuart Florida
Whats y'all opinion about putting the Imax inside a pvc flagpole? The park has no antennas of any kind.

Will it tx and rx from inside?
I know higher the better but the feedpoint would only be a foot off the ground.
Bless yas +

Yes plastic pipe or tubing is fine its metal that will kill the signal. Back in the 1990s I used to talk to a guy in england that had the same antenna restrictions and he put his antenna IN HIS CHIMNEY!! There are home made 2 meter Jpole antennas that are made cased inside PVC ;)

There are a couple of mfg's that make a flagpole antnnas for ham radio so I see no reason why this wouldn't work. Just us FG and not metal and you would be fine.

I agree with Craig, a dipole would also be a good option as well. If you have tress on your lot you could easily hide it up the tree. It would cost about $25 to make a decent dipole.

no trees. I tried a dipole in the carport and no good.
What about the height. The feed point will be near the ground !!
I might swap my Imax 2000 for a Antron 99. There is six foot difference.
Thanks
Bless y'all+

If you have the I-Max just use it, and people have been using ground mounted verticals for years successfully.
I used to talk to a old friend in Texas that had a A-99 in his backyard sitting on the ground.
Is it the best place, no but it will work if that is what you have to do.
Not everyone can have a 100 foot tower so you do what you can with what you have to work with.

Jeff

Reactions: 1 person
flagpole

DOES your home have a metal rain gutter?
If so just run a wire with an alligator clip, clip to the rain gutter and to an antenna tuner..a friend in NASHVILLE does this and works on 10 meters good at 100 watts..but you must use an antenna tuner...just an idea
DOCTOR

Around 20'
Can I take the top section off and use the bottom two on my Imax 2000? If I still had my antron 99 it would have been perfect.

Thanks
God Bless

If your going to ground mount it why bother putting a CB antenna inside pvc pipe? Just put up an aluminum flagpole, insulate it from ground and add a few radials. You may have to use a tuner but it will probably work a lot better than an I-Max in a tube. AND it will be a real flag pole.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Can ya explain how to do that. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
I already have a 20' telescopic aluminum flag pole.
I can't do radials cause they would be seen ..
I appreciate all you guys/gals help.
I'm used to Missouri and have my Imax 2000 50' up a tree.
Bless y'all

Can ya explain how to do that. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
I already have a 20' telescopic aluminum flag pole.
I can't do radials cause they would be seen ..
I appreciate all you guys/gals help.
I'm used to Missouri and have my Imax 2000 50' up a tree.
Bless y'all

capture

In the image above (if its worked i not post image here b4)
you can see a homebrew antenna which should adapted to what you need
I am hopping you have a grass lawn
The main vertical can be your flagpole,if you attach it to a wooden post that will be your insulator ...now you can see that to mach this antenna it has a copper ring 6feet long, one end attached to the vertical and one end attached to the radials , as you can see the braid of the coax is attached to the radials and the center is moved around the ring until a mach is found ...now i hope you have a lawn so the radials can be buried in the grass out of sight ... now the ring you may be able to rap it around the post several time to make it more compact BUT this maybe/will alter how long the copper needs to be...but some one on here clever than me maybe able to tel you if it needs to be longer or shorter

Attachments

• big dummys.jpg
    big dummys.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 64

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.