• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

For those who have older rigs and want to add a SDR/Panadapter

fourstringburn

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member K5KNM
Feb 11, 2007
NEW MEXICO
I just come across a new device by MFJ, the MFJ-1708SDR

MFJ-1708SDR_2_THUMB.jpg

This will let users of older rigs or any radio without an IF out be able to run a SDR/panadapter. However with older rigs that don't support CAT control or equivalent, you won't have rig control but at least you can see the bands. With rig control, you can click on the waterfall and your radio will follow or the SDR will also follow your radio too.

There are quite a few free SDR software programs that work great. I like SDRUno and I recently been playing with SDR console version 3 and I like them both.

The best SDR receiver for the money is the SDRPlay. There are 3 versions, 1 is a single antenna port, the other 2 are the 3 antenna ports (2 SMA and 1 Hi-Z ) but the more expensive one has a metal case. I went with the SDRPlay RSP2 because I like the option of extra antennas. I use 1 antenna port for the radio interface and I have an indoor mobile 2m/440 antenna mounted on my desktop to listen in on the VHF/UHF and beyond signals on the other port. These SDR receivers costs between $100 to $200 depending on the model. The SDRPlay RSP2 is around $150.

This device requires a PTT line so if you already use an amp, you would need a RCA phono plug Y cable.

Other than that, it seems to be an easy way to interface a SDR/panadapter with your rig!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated