• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

frequencies frequently frequenting frequency mixes, without the Panda

Do you have any interest in a mono band HF portable?

• What happened to the Panda?

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Pandas suck , death to all Pandas and your lame modifications

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not now son, I'm making toast !

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Do you actually have a life away from meanigless posts about obsolete radios?

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Cool, tell me more...

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
Why would they be dangling off the back of any unit?

Saves walking. Same premise as having a fridge on one's porch next to the lawn chairs. No need to head to the kitchen to get a cold beer. A setup commonly found in the deep south. Along with radios with multiple items hanging off them. (y)

Last edited:
Holy cow.
All this time I thought Kopcicle was pulling our leg with his "Panda Manifesto", but after spending the better part of two days going over it with a fine tooth comb the joke's on me.
A Radio Shack CB converted to work on 20, 40 and 80 meters. How cool is that? (y)

Hopefully when he's done with his, he'll elect to package conversion kits with all the necessary parts and make them available and affordable to enthusiasts with the necessary gumption and patience. The biggest drawback I see is that his original document in Post #1 is only an abbreviated outline (if that) and actual detailed instructions could run a dozen pages or more, single spaced. o_O Did I mention gumption?

Don't have a Realistic rig you can spare? No worries. There a few other radios with the proper lineage that will work. Pair the finished product with a dipole made from two 4' Firestiks along with a good tuner and the world is yours. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: undertaker
I'm going to revisit this limited sanity with some random input .
https://hayseedhamfest.com/
ranphoto_540x.jpeg
https://www.digchip.com/datasheets/parts/datasheet/1865/SGR-8002DC-PHB-pdf.php

This seems like a slightly more expensive but more exacting replacement for the LTC 1799 voltage controlled oscillator and far cheaper than the non-existent custom crystals . I'll get one here when I can and also try to substitute it for one side of a crystal synthesis mixer.

I need it for a stable frequency source but those with non export 148/tr296 boards may have a use for switching 11.1125/11.3258 or some such.
This might also be a replacement for the "expo" boards. The "expo" boards were recently covered here https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/expo-100-expander-channel-kits-info-needed.234723/

http://funkservice.at/dokus/DDS-4en.pdf and
http://funkservice.at/en_pll-modul.htm
Gerhard Maurer always seems to find his way into any serious modification conversation. For this discussion It's limited to the DDS .

http://janielectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=107kep2_kicsi-600x600.jpg

I've always maintained that a wide CB (more than the standard .450MHz) could benefit from a band pass filter. Although this is obviously a filter for a multi band HF receiver the idea still holds. I've been looking at this one because of the small size and good reports from the QRP crowd.

On the transmit side
https://eb104.ru/internet-magazin/lpf-filtra-dlya-shpu/lpf1200w-low-pass-filter-1200w-1-8-54-mhz
ZWIxMDQucnU=!DSCF1914.jpg

He also has a kit good for 2.5K (with dubious instructions) as well as plenty of LDMOS goodies. If you don't want to or can't deal direct there is an ebay store.

then there is this curiosity
wa1gfzclasse.jpg
http://www.w0btu.com/files/misc/qx11carcia.pdf
Yes , you're looking at in excess of a kilo ...
Not last but not least is http://classeradio.com/
Draw your own conclusions.

Look , with the onset of uBitix and Chinese DDS from ebay as well as ...
It just isn't that expensive any more.
Unless you want to by a $3000 radio just to have to admit that you don't understand the menu system.

I just wanted to toss some thoughts out and see what happens .

As much as I'd like to join back in, when I got my TAK-tenna staff took away my eligibility to participate in discussions like this. Something about required minimum IQ. o_O

As much as I'd like to join back in, when I got my TAK-tenna staff took away my eligibility to participate in discussions like this. Something about required minimum IQ. o_O

Nobody took anything away from you. As for the IQ issue I present the following where you pretended to not know anything yet admitted later that you were fully aware of such things. That is called deception and is something you and YOU alone are responsible for. May I suggest you see your doctor and have your meds adjusted because lately there has been a definite change in your tone on this site. Others have noted it as well.

https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/tak-tenna-antenna-systems.218625/page-3#post-641722

My comment about my eligibility being taken was a joke, Captain.

And the comments in the post that you provided a link to were made tongue in cheek for crying out loud. I have a dry sense of humor. As others on this site do.

I deleted that post when I saw it upset you, but you reinstated it. And just as I suspected, plan on holding it over my head.

No one sick here. No docs. No meds. Just a guy you evidently don't like.

What do I need to do?

Please tell me.

Jim

CK,
Your "job", do what you will . I've Found in nearly three years of membership and longer as a visitor that you are curiously predictable and not without humor. I have not and do not have any complaints. I very nearly said "my thread , my problem , I can deal ..." However I see this is a larger issue.

Jim,
We have briefly texted back and forth in private and I have no complaint or issue. As far as what to do ? I won't speak for CK. I'll only speak for myself . The subject here is alternative RF. Think out of the box. Imagine . Create. Lead , follow , contribute, experiment, discuss.

All,
I've taken a shot or two at specific members and heard about it . I've engaged in a few discussions that were a no win, non starter from post one and I've regretted it . Injecting opinion and personality here is not an issue. Even well placed mild profanity is tolerated.
What is not tolerated is any kind of aggression , passive or otherwise.

Can we get back to curiouser and curiouser now ? :)

Reactions: tecnicoloco and Rwb
Can we get back to curiouser and curiouser now ? :)

kopcicle,
I have come to the conclusion that your brain is running at the speed of light/sound or you have too much time on your hands.:)
Regardless, I appreciate your posts, they cause my brain to get out of "Granny Gear" for which it seems to have been stuck in for at least a decade!
I love a challenge and seem to get in way over my head from time to time, but I always learn something from those exercises and (mostly) no one gets hurt!:sick:
This "proposal" of yours is light years ahead of my capacity, but I will continue to follow it as it interests me and I just may learn a thing or two.(y)

73's
David

First the numbers for 3.6 mhz

The LTC1799 VCO . With nothing but a resistor to adjust for frequency and all these modifications having a doubler or trippler already in place to be re-purposed for for a buffer/amplifier what could go wrong ? The Ltc1799 can be had for as little as $10 on a board with a bypass cap and multi turn potentiometer . Check ICM (note ICM has effectively closed its doors after 60 years) crystal prices lately ?
With the availability issue and high cost of crystals, those LTC1799 adjustable oscillator modules also make a great substitute for expanding the old 23ch crystal matrix rigs. Replace the onboard fine tune trimmer with an external 10 turn Vernier pot on the front panel for greater flexibility.

My comment about my eligibility being taken was a joke, Captain.

What you called a joke comes across as a spiteful retort in response to a previous incident. Only YOU know the intent it was written with.

And the comments in the post that you provided a link to were made tongue in cheek for crying out loud. I have a dry sense of humor. As others on this site do.

See above.....same thing applies.

I deleted that post when I saw it upset you, but you reinstated it. And just as I suspected, plan on holding it over my head.

Deleting a post once it has POed someone off in no way changes the fact it POed them off. It just hides what someone is capable of. You admitted to being a chain yanker and since my response was there for all to see I decided that perhaps the reason for my post should be shown. Sometimes chain yankers need their own chain yanked.

No one sick here. No docs. No meds. Just a guy you evidently don't like.

What do I need to do?

Please tell me.

Jim

It's simple......don't troll or bait.I think you actually have a lot you can contribute. Be truthful about your knowledge and share it and don't yank chains. Sometimes those chains are connected to the collars of big vicious junkyard dogs. LOL Anyway I shall comment no further as this has hijacked this thread enough but since you asked me directly in the open I responded in kind. As I said nuff said. Case closed. 73

Reactions: Dr. Frankenstein
yeah , okay , we're back :)
So...
11.1125 , 11.3258 , 10.61 (if you've been following along)
16.6667 ?
hint, this is for all the recent 6m perverts out there :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: tecnicoloco
Not much too it. The trick is to wind the wire on a flat shuttle bobbin first if the wire is really fine and pass that thru the core. It makes winding a lot easier.
I was an industrial weaver back in 1970 and had those devices and the were called "Shuttles". They were passed left and right to supply the "WEFT" of the fabric and then the "Warp" changed position and the shuttle reversed direction. The "Warp" was the long wise of the fabric bolt.. That was when I worked in the Proofing lab where they tested for concept viability.
Used many shuttles winding torrid transformers with fine gauge magnet wire. After I showed one engineer how to do this I had to teach a class to the floor production supervisors. The company was almost giddy because it solved a lot of problems with some high voltage transformers.
Sharp kinks in the wire would cause shorts and leakage in the transformer.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.