• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

frequency meter fluxuating

i have a brand new dosy tfc 3001 and when i hook it up to my courier caravelle 2 it shows 27.2144 on channel 21 that is with a dead key when I talk the counter fluxuates all over the place also the modulation meter always pegs the needle when I talk into the microphone read directions and did it just like they said. The radio dead keys 4 watts so I think it is a virgin but not sure any help would be greatly appreciated

It's going to fluctuate as you talk. Even my Fluke frequency counter does that. You just key the radio with no modulation to read the display and don't worry what it says after that.

That reading you're getting is close enough for AM CB. Noone will notice that. An alignment might tighten it up a bit, or maybe not. Also, that meter might not be that accurate at that digit...hard to say for sure without seeing the specs. Either way, noone will notice it at all. Talk on it; have fun.

Consider, for measuring equipment such as this, the standard is to take the last displayed digit and make it + or - 1. Also, this counter probably uses a circuit design and components similar to those in most CB radios, so it's stability is going to fluctuate as much as 3 on that last digit.

So, now your reading can vary from the actual frequency of the radio by as much as 4 units on that last digit, which is in 100s of Hz.

Assuming the calibration of the counter is dead on, your reading is 600 Hz low, but your actual frequency could be only 200 Hz low, which is again within the design specification of this class of radio. Of course, it could also be off as much in the opposite direction.

Try the measurement again in the summer and see how much it changes.

The relative magnetic flux of the earth relative to the sun, the lunar alignment of the planets, temperature and humility all affect these measurements.

ok but i notice that it is off a little does this matter?

What is the "it"? The frequency meter? The radio?

Unless one of them has been recently calibrated (and not just "checked"), you can't be sure either one is dead on.

As C2 implied, each piece of equipment has a possible error built in, determined by the manufacturer. As an example, when Bird says their Model 43 wattmeter is accurate to within plus or minus 5%, that's the maximum error you can expect from that meter. Calibrating the meter will restore the error to within this +/- 5% range; it will not make it "perfect".

If you read- 27.2144
It should be-27.2150 for channel 21.

Otherwise, 27.2151 or 27.2149 would be one number off (+/- 100 Hz)

Yeah, but not that much.
If it was really way off freq - someone would be telling you.
BTW - if you have a SSB radio, you can always adjust it a few cents over. And if the clarifier is unlocked, you can easily slide it over on freq with your freq counter.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.