• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT101E 11m pos.

dxhound

Nov 17, 2006
I just picked up a mint 101e and it works great, 25 watt AM carrier provides 110 watts peak with little to no ALC action!!!!

My question is, the rig only rx's on the 11 meter pos. and I recall a mod to remove one wire to open tx. Any clues on this mod. Shes too perfect to go swapping crystals and it has the ssb filter.

I just picked up a mint 101e and it works great, 25 watt AM carrier provides 110 watts peak with little to no ALC action!!!!

My question is, the rig only rx's on the 11 meter pos. and I recall a mod to remove one wire to open tx. Any clues on this mod. Shes too perfect to go swapping crystals and it has the ssb filter.

I dought the 1 wire mod's existance, I believe there the matter of switching out one of the two 10 meter crystals namely 10A or 10B depending on which side of 10 meters you can do without.

haha, Yeah, I think I got a truly NEW radio!! Its like it was taken out of the box and handed to me. The reason I thought that there was such a mod is that the radio has an actual 11 meter position on the band switch. The rig will rx 11m but when the ptt is depressed all I hear is a relay click but no power output. After doing some research I found it was intended for rx only but was easily modified for tx. The mod was called the "brown wire mod" It involved removing a brown wire from the band switch and thats all I think. But before I do it, I want to confirm this! Because The radio is in pristine shape I dont want to swap crystals and so forth. Anyway, Ill get pics up soon

haha, Yeah, I think I got a truly NEW radio!! Its like it was taken out of the box and handed to me. The reason I thought that there was such a mod is that the radio has an actual 11 meter position on the band switch. The rig will rx 11m but when the ptt is depressed all I hear is a relay click but no power output. After doing some research I found it was intended for rx only but was easily modified for tx. The mod was called the "brown wire mod" It involved removing a brown wire from the band switch and thats all I think. But before I do it, I want to confirm this! Because The radio is in pristine shape I dont want to swap crystals and so forth. Anyway, Ill get pics up soon
You will get no help from any of the purist here.

Reactions: ExitThirteen

I have been unable to find the exact procedure for the mod but from what I have read it is indeed a single wire on the bandswitch that needs to be cut,that is if 11m was actually labeled on the bandswitch and it works in RX. The later models simply had an AUX position and no crystals even for RX. Someone mentioned a yellow wire that is accessable through a hole near the bandswitch. Maybe the wire is yellow and maybe it is brown.Take a good look around the area of the bandswitch.I'll try and get more info in a day or two for you.

P.S. So Mack, I guess that makes me a non-purist does it? :D

You will get no help from any of the purist here.
the damn hammy's need to lighten up. i mean, come on. i'm transmitting on the 11 meter band with a 10 meter band radio, ooooooooooohhhhhhh. take me to jail and cut off my head and hang it up so all the hams can tar and feather me. with all that is wrong in this world, i'm glad i can get in trouble by talking on my "ILLEGAL" radio. get a damn life. sorry for the vent.

Reactions: DoctorD911
I have been unable to find the exact procedure for the mod but from what I have read it is indeed a single wire on the bandswitch that needs to be cut,that is if 11m was actually labeled on the bandswitch and it works in RX. The later models simply had an AUX position and no crystals even for RX. Someone mentioned a yellow wire that is accessable through a hole near the bandswitch. Maybe the wire is yellow and maybe it is brown.Take a good look around the area of the bandswitch.I'll try and get more info in a day or two for you.

P.S. So Mack, I guess that makes me a non-purist does it? :D
There's hope for redemption yet.:D

This CBer versus ham bashing bullshit has GOT to stop. It is not productive for either side. Yes some hams whine about some things CBers do but remember, a LOT of what CBers do is in fact against the law whether you think it should be or not.I see faaaar more CBers bashing hams on this board than the other way around. If you want to be a CBer that bashes hams because of what they do or say, take it over to the proper board where that crap is happening like www.qrz.com . See how far that gets you. :angry:

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

Soooo........ about the ft101.....

I'll tell ya,that has got to be the best kept secret of all the 11m mods. :confused:
Most of the radios that had an AUX position needed crystals to operate on 11m. Some required you to give up one of the 10m positions,usually the 10A position and use differant crystals for 11m. Your radio was one of the older FT-101E's that actually included 11m as a receive only function from the factory but it was able to be modified to allow TX on 11m as well with a reasonably simple mod.Unfortunately your model seems to be the rarer of the 101's . I have searched Google for the mod but keep coming up empty. I know a fellow that had a 101 on 11m years ago but do not know if it had 11m on the bandswitch or if he had to switch out crystals in it. All I can think to do know is ask on a couple other sites I frequent and see if someone has the answer.

I'm pretty sure all 101's needed crystals swapped to open 11 meters.The 102 could be opened for 11 meters with crystals or a clip.The clipping method cost you use of 10 meters.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?