• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FTM-350 Operation Questions / Info Exchange

N3KDJ

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 9, 2010
PA
So I am settling in to using the FTM-350 and really liking it. I was sort of familiar as I have been using a VX-8DR, but there's a lot to learn here.

At first I used the rig set up the way I most likely will....APRS on left side with pop-ups for Beacon RX set to 3 seconds so I see them but they get out of my way.
Right side with local repeaters in memories set to "Select" so when on one of those memories (MRs) I can start a scan from the mic's top buttons. Distant repeaters are set to "Skip" and local PD / FD that aren't trunked or P25 are neither 'Skip' nor 'Select' so if I start a scan on one of those both the amateur repeaters locally and the PD/FD/EMS scan.

Cool, I like all that (though as Craig said I really wish we had 'Banks' like the VX-8DR...anyway). From time to time I want to use the left side to listen to a Fire freq or another repeater...when I switch freq there I of course don't want to dump APRS beacons on a repeater nor get TX Errors on a PD channel...what's the simplest way to stop the beacons....? I read with interest MikeMercury's post here:
APRS on theFTM-350R
It sounds like he has this squared away in his point #5 there:
"....5. Is there a simple way to shut-off the automatic APRS-GPS transmissions?

Yes; press the radios "F" button until the keys "F3" listings appear. Then press BCOM and the "bullseye" icon should disappear. Push the same button to re-enable the auto TX feature....."

I suppose that's much easier than going into menus to shut off the APRS Modem right...I also like the idea of leaving APRS Mute off and setting a T-SQL CTCSS on that channel...had not thought the radio would still hear and process the RX data....cool idea!

Any other hints, tips , tricks you guys are using to make this radio fast and easy to use?

BTW, God bless the people at RT Systems....so awesome to be able to fire repeaters into the radio from ARRL Travel Plus.

Another tip, so you don't have to find out by fooling around with it...

If you want to use the crossband repeat feature, you have to turn the APRS modem off first. It won't allow you to enable crossband repeat otherwise.

I am a new owner. Went ahead and did firmware upgrade the second day I got it. It is a smooth operation with the right RS-232 to din plug cable i think Ct 143. The Adams programming software with usb cable is also good. makes for fast programming. But pullng the rig from the vehicles and setting it up inside the hose wth power supply... well thats another matter. Thanks to the Velcro man! Forget the suction cup. Who has a better, re-written manual? Nifty? Where is the Rf power menu? I found it only on the mic which has not manual at all..... great radio i think but lousy documentation. my 2 cents

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated