• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 225

RunAway15

Apr 9, 2017
Just got this today.. Wonder how long it will last behind a Connex 3300hp?
$_3.JPG

We have a winna!

What does it have in it? 1446's? No more than 10w/peak AM into it should make it last and work right. At 13.8v feed voltage, you should see about 150~160w output/peak.

Last edited:
So, the red LED under the low-h-med switch lights up a little when I key, and a lot when I modulate. Is that something to do with SWR, or something else?

The problem is that if the swamping resistor goes you'll be hitting it with full drive from the radio, then it won't be long before the transistors shit the bed.

Reactions: RunAway15
The problem is that if the swamping resistor goes you'll be hitting it with full drive from the radio, then it won't be long before the transistors shit the bed.
I run a ratshaq meter in line with all my stuff, and I watch it closely. Right now I'm putting about a watt DK into it (about a 20 watt carrier from the box, could be a little higher like 30-35 I suppose but that's what it was doing when I put the two together and it sounds good so didn't see any reason to take the lid off the radio for that) and if the resistor goes I would see the DK change, right?

We have a winna!

What does it have in it? 1446's? No more than 10w/peak AM into it should make it last and work right. At 13.8v feed voltage, you should see about 150~160w output/peak.
I think you were closer to the output estimate you first reported before you edited it when you said 175. This little box is hot!! It may be closer to 185-195!!!

You may well be over-driving it if it getting real hot.

I have the same box, but have not run it in awhile. Cannot remember what it did exactly. I think it uses a 75w device @12.5vdc. So two should do 150 to 175w output @13.8vdc with 10w/PEP input - using a 50 ohm dummy load to measure the output..

Last edited:
You may well be over-driving it if it getting real hot.

I have the same box, but have not run it in awhile. Cannot remember what it did exactly. I think it uses a 75w device @12.5vdc. So two should do 150 to 175w output @13.8vdc with 10w/PEP input - using a 50 ohm dummy load to measure the output..
Lol, I should have chose my wording more carefully. I didn't mean temperature hot, but fire in da wire hot. Lol.. In fact its been running rather cool. Not getting hot at all. Here comes a question that may seem green; is heat my only worry, or can things go wrong even with relatively little heat?

What can go wrong?
Good question.

You could accidentally turn up the output on your Connex to exceed 10wPEP to 30w/PEP. Then it could be days, hours, or minutes before the finals in the amp to overheat and destroy themselves. Remember, that radio puts out +50w/PEP; but on the low side you best check that radio with a dummy load and a reliable watt meter to be sure that it isn't putting out more than 10w/PEP. Your amp's life depends on it.

If your radio puts out more than that on the lo power setting; then you would be best served to lower the dead key of the radio internally until it falls into that specification. Keep in mind we are talking about peak watt output.

Too much mic gain can also cause the amp to amplify any radio IMD distortion products, so keep it as clean as you can. This over-modulation will also give the amp distress.

Last edited:
What can go wrong?
Good question.

You could accidentally turn up the output on your Connex to exceed 10wPEP to 30w/PEP. Then it could be days, hours, or minutes before the finals in the amp to overheat and destroy themselves. Remember, that radio puts out +50w/PEP; but on the low side you best check that radio with a dummy load and a reliable watt meter to be sure that it isn't putting out more than 10w/PEP. Your amp's life depends on it.

If your radio puts out more than that on the lo power setting; then you would be best served to lower the dead key of the radio internally until it falls into that specification. Keep in mid we are talking about peak watt output.

Too much mic gain can also cause the amp to amplify IMD distortion, so keep it as clean as you can. This over-modulation will also give the amp distress.
Thanks for taking time to type out detailed replies. I really appreciate it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated