• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 2547 clarifier woes

dozerman

hello, its me again
Dec 16, 2013
milan tennessee
Ok, once moving here to west Tennessee, I can see there is a bad need for a good technician. The one my radio friends frequent, to me, is apparently not a tech, but more of a YouTube modifier. One of the guys asked me to look at his 2547, because the clarifier wouldn't work after a channel expansion. The freq's were waaay off as he didn't realign it. We run ch 14, 27.1250. The radio in rx was 27.1268 and tx was 27.1240 in AM. After realigning the freq's to where they correspond on my counter and the on board counter, in all three modes, I hit the clarifier and it drops to 27.1186 with zero adjustment. I've looked a dozen times to be sure nothing was left of when the "tech" undid the channel mod and it's all there. No traces cut, resistors bypassed or diodes missing. The two switch mod was done by the way. Any ideas as to why the clarifier drops way out like that and has zero adjustment??

I would check to see that R113, a 47-ohm 1/8 Watt resistor is in place. Check voltage on each side of R113. Should be 8 Volts on receive, and drop to zero in transmit mode.

There is no reason to disturb D38, but it's on the list of things to check, and see that you have about 6/10 of a Volt higher reading on the anode (not banded) end than on the banded end in receive mode.

There is more than one way to mod the clarifier so you can actually use it on SSB. Just sounds as if that was done wrong, or was undone wrong.

I would check to see that R113, a 47-ohm 1/8 Watt resistor is in place. Check voltage on each side of R113. Should be 8 Volts on receive, and drop to zero in transmit mode.

There is no reason to disturb D38, but it's on the list of things to check, and see that you have about 6/10 of a Volt higher reading on the anode (not banded) end than on the banded end in receive mode.

There is more than one way to mod the clarifier so you can actually use it on SSB. Just sounds as if that was done wrong, or was undone wrong.

D38 is there as well as r113. D38 has a voltage of 4.58 and cathode has 3.99 volts in rx. R113 has 5.45 on the left side and 8.60 or the right side in rx and drops to .06 volts in tx. As there were no traces cut underneath I'm ruling out a couple ways. The two switch is the obvious one. I've got two wires that have been cut and resoldered in j33. Still can't figure out the clarifier button taking it down almost a full channel and won't adjust at all

my guess is that you maybe had the clarifier button "off" when you should have had it "on", and vice versa.

from the way you worded it, it seems like the reason you can't adjust the freq with the clarifier is because the button has it disabled.

i could be wrong, but maybe something to check.
LC

my guess is that you maybe had the clarifier button "off" when you should have had it "on", and vice versa.

from the way you worded it, it seems like the reason you can't adjust the freq with the clarifier is because the button has it disabled.

i could be wrong, but maybe something to check.
LC
With the button off you can't adjust freqs, which is how it should work, correct? And with the button pushed in, to turn it on, the frequency drops about a half a channel, but the clarifier still won't work. Like it's turned off. I'm not sure of the voltages that are supposed to be on the pins of the clarifier, but there is voltage, and it rises and falls in relation to how the knob is turned, but with no change in frequency

Well call it dumb luck, but I wiggled the clarifier knob while I turned it, with the button in and clarifier on, and noticed the freqs jumping around. So I took that band board out and resoldered the three pins on the pot. No change. So I swapped it for another pot and it works. I have an adjustment of 6 down and 10 up now. Not sure why it dawned on me to do that but I'll take it. Thank you guys for your help

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.