• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GALAXY 979 INSTALLING ECHO BOARD

anixon

Jun 11, 2006
nj
could some body explain how to install echo board.
the board is a BB-2 board. i'm going to install the knob on the side of radio.
where can i found 9 volts to hook red wire to.
does the red and white wire both get hooked to pin 1 of microphone like it states.
thanks
al

anixon said:
could some body explain how to install echo board.
the board is a BB-2 board. i'm going to install the knob on the side of radio.
where can i found 9 volts to hook red wire to.
does the red and white wire both get hooked to pin 1 of microphone like it states.
thanks
al

Are you sure that is a 9v board or 12v?
What are the instructions that came with it then I can help you.

that board can take a min of 8volts so 8-12volts
hook the power to the switched part of the on /off for the radio(red power wire)

now if your going to hook the ground up for the mic to the echo board dont hook the ground up for the neg power (black wire)
some radios loose modulation or squeal.

that is up to you which works better..
and red and white wire on the echo board should be red(pll) or transmit
white audio...so answer to your question is no
unless your not stating something right!

it a 959 not 979 my mistake. it states.
red wire to power source.
orange hook up to power source ,but pass threw a switch to turn on/off.
black ground .
red shield is audio out from board. attach to pin 1 of microphone jack.
white shield audio in. attach to pin 1 of mic. jack.

anixon said:
it a 959 not 979 my mistake. it states.
red wire to power source.
orange hook up to power source ,but pass threw a switch to turn on/off.
black ground .
red shield is audio out from board. attach to pin 1 of microphone jack.
white shield audio in. attach to pin 1 of mic. jack.

i did a 959 but with a different echo board
anyway

the red and white don't both go together
one goes to the wire after you unsolder it from the mic socket. and the other is soldered to the mic board itself
so, white to mic jack and red to wire that you unsoldered from the mic board
as for the power ones one to the back of the radio where the + comes in (where that big black diode is) and the orange goes to the power switch on the radio(so it turns on the echo power when you power up the radio..
you best bet is to put a switch where your putting the echo
knob or that echo is going to stay on all the time...

for now you can take the power(red and orange and put them together) to test it before you start drilling stuff:)

you cant have both wires going to pin 1 on the mic socket:)

red is audio in, white is audio out. Both shield wires next to those to ground.

Black to ground.

Check the pins on the on/off switch with a voltmeter, red goes to constant 12V, orange to pin that gets 12V when radio turned on.

That's how I did it. Good Luck!

Librium said:
I wonder why 2 power wires?

The one power wire will completely shut the unit down. (off) especially if you use the onboard controls on the unit and not the off board dual controls. I personally thought the 8 volt source was the best , but 12 volt (on/off switch will work) I personally thought it worked and sounded better at the lower voltage. IM not familure with the 979 ,but you should be able to take a volt meter with the radio on and check out some of the jumpers on the board , once you find the lower voltage ,key the radio and make sure the voltage remains the same from the jumper ,if not ,keep looking for a stable lower voltage that won't change after you key the radio. There's also a audio type amp on that board that you can turn down if need be after all is installed to your liking. (there should also be a constint 8 volt on one of the pins on the audio chip)

Wiring for BB-2 Bandit Echo Board

RED = 12-volts Constant BLACK = Board Ground

BOTH SHIELDS = Mic Ground ORANGE = 12-volts Switched

WHITE IN = Audio from Mic WHITE OUT = Audio out to radio board
bb2a.jpg

lord

where did u hook up wires at for in and out audio.
when i hooked up at the microphone jack board. the radio transmits for a while and then stops transmitting and no talkback. is there another place to hook up the wires at.
on 959

it's pretty much cut and dry , you need to follow the directions as close as you can , it truly sounds like somethings wrong and sometimes it can be very hard to explain in these types of situations. You need to understand what is what in your radio , if you play Russian roulet with it , you might be sorry you ever did :( Your 959 is a good radio and you don't want to fudge it up , take your time , relax and try again , if you can't figure it out after that , put the radio back as it was before you started and hire a pro to do it for you . IM sorry I wasn't much help. In and out audio is the wire that goes to the audio pin on the mic board which is number 2 , IF IM understanding you correctly ? that wire comes off and goes to one of your pigtails white wire from the echo board , the other pigtail wire will go to the audio jack you took off to put on the other pigtail , if it doesn't work ? reverse the wires on the pigtails . ALL ground wires (each pigtail has one) can go together onto the ground pin 1 of your mic board. Good luck

I'm trying to figure out which wire is audio on the board on the back of the mic jack. brown? yellow is the transmit , red does nothing

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.