• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX 55HP

Eric Skorpil

Apr 21, 2013
Okay I bought a Galaxy DX55HP at a cb shop in Baytown, TX, after I left and hit the road I was talking to other drivers and the said the radio was clear although it sounded like I was in the sticks when I was only 2.5 miles behind them. I bought a SWR meter and quickly tested my antennas and the readings have me puzzled. On the radio the power read 1.1 and on the antenna swr the needle wouldn't move off of the 1 is this a good thing or a bad thing?

If your radio meter reads 1.1-1 and the swr meter reads 1-1 then I wouldn't worry about the SWRs.

However, the little rubber antenna on a hand-held cb has good SWRs. It just isn't very efficient.

Focus on two things here. How efficient your antennas are, (how much of your radio's power is actually broadcast), and what that CB shop did to that radio. Lots of hacks out there and it's more often than not that they will butcher a radio in the name of MO POWA and MO AUUUUDDDDIOOO.

Reactions: 1 person
An efficient antenna mounted at the right place on a vehicle - is everything to its overall performance.
Don't 'cut yourself off at the knees' by going second best here.
Lot of people make that mistake . . .

Last edited:
Right now I am running the Wilson trucker 2000 antenna.., hopefully it was a good choice, I've replaced my coax cable and ran a swr check again and everything seems to be working great since

Had a very similar problem.... Over time my SWR got better and my broadcast got worse. Turns out I had water and moldy lookin stuff under the outer layer of insulation (and who knows how deep) on my coax. Replaced the coax and all was well again.

Let's get some details from you so we can do our best to help.

We know its a DX55.
We know its from a CB shop.:eek:
We know its a Wilson Trucker.

What kind of truck, where's it mounted, and what kind of coax?

Details..more details. Remember too that a dummy load has a perfect swr..but it is completely a resistive load and for all intensive purposes it does not radiate.

im surprised no one has asked how ya got the knobs set on the radio.
at only 2-3 miles apart even a stock cb would be heard good with a good antenna.
heres some of my tricks
1/ make sure the antenna is perfectly straight DONT tilt it
2/make sure the coil is above the roofline
3/you say u replaced the coax im assuming you knew to get 50 ohm coax
4/are your doors fiberglass or not? if they are some grounding is needed even though
swr seem ok
now for the radio set up like this
1/rf power knob set all way down ,or to the left
2/mic gain all the way up ,or to the right

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.