• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy Dx-949/959 "super Ears" Mod Questions.

8113 Northern MN

Aug 9, 2013
Virginia,MN
I was recently going through the lists of various mods available for these radios. After reading the details on this one I was a bit intrigued. I have an antenna that is sitting 64' at the tip but I live in a mining town in Northern Minnesota.....the land here is all Iron and Im about 100-200 feet lower then all the surrounding area. I sometimes have trouble picking up some locals about 20 miles North. I figured id try this out and installed everything just as was detailed. When activating the switch to the ON position on my usual channel of 38 LSB I noticed absolutely no increase in sound from distant stations. I then switched it down to AM and was surprised when I flipped the switch and heard the background noise lower and the distant stations pick up....but it was extremely low difference. There was an audible difference but not one that warranted a need to install a new switch on my radio lol.

So my question.....anyone know why this doesnt work on AM and if this is even a relative Mod for the Mosfet Driver/Final version of these radios? Does anyone know of any other mods (besides the schottky diodes for receive which ive already done on the 949 and was already installed factory on the 959), which increase receive?

I also sometimes have trouble hearing stations 20 miles away even with a fine antenna. But I won't ever do that mod unless I feel like I want to waste time troubleshooting a radio's blown receiver because some friend with a mobile radio shows up unannounced and has his linear on.
>snap!<

Take your chances and do the mod. There are always stations that you will not be able to hear the way you might like.

The best mod after doing the schottkey diode mod is to not replace the 1674 with a 2999. The other best mod is to get the receive aligned with a SINAD meter and a signal generator. Other than that, get the best antenna you can. After all, you are spending money to make the radio better w/o having done all that is possible to deal with the most important part - your antenna is you ears. Or have you?

Im currently running an Imax 2000 and have it on top of a telescoping tower. Tip of the antenna is 64' up in the air. Running Full Power RG-8 cable throughout the whole setup. I have been looking at some beams in place of the Imax and actually have a good deal I could grab at anytime on a Maco Vquad......but taking down and putting up this Imax is NO easy feat! Im not sure I wanna tackle putting a bulky Beam up there!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.