• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GALAXY MELAKA

Trash radio. I wouldn't have one given to me.. I knew a local back in the 1990s that bought one new and he had it a week and got rid of it and got a 2517... He was very unhappy with the Melaka..

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
Well I donot agree with alot of these post. My brother bought his melaka brand new and has been the best radio he has ever owned because of that I bought one a couple years ago and it is my main radio works fantastic. We both had dial a watt installed and this radio only goes to about 14 watts pep but drives my amps great. I have about 22 or 23 radios now and Melaka still my number one radio. Maybe you all just bought a made on Monday one. LOL Jimbo165

I have 2 Galaxy SSB Melaka's and both work great only get 15 to 20 watts and frequency drifts until it warms up about 15 minutes but once they are warmed up they stay right there dead on frequency and have great receive have talked skip to several people out there I'm happy with them but someday I'll get a bigger Galaxy 2995dx then I'll be even more happy.

ahh the good old melaka. it was the son of the old galaxy ssb. it was the cheapest galaxy base at the time. they were about $189 new from copper electronics. back in the late 90's. thwy could be expanded for extras but you needed to unlock the clairifer to get 10k of slide for able's. once you did this ssb because useless. ive seen a few with cracked mainboards, why i dont know.

they get pretty loud (and splattery). ssb was nothing to write home about, they had a signal meter meter and a "on air" light instead of a second meter. uses 1969 final with peak around 20 watts.

adjustments

modulation vr-14
am power vr-13
alc vr-12

VR 1 ~ AM/FM S-Meter
VR 2 ~ SSB S-Meter
VR 3 ~ SSB Squelch Range
VR 4 ~ AM/FM Squelch Range
VR 5 ~ FM Deviation
VR 7 ~ SSB Carrier Balance
VR 8 ~ RF Meter
VR10 ~ Final Bias
VR11 ~ Driver Bias
VR20 ~ Final Bias
VR21 ~ TX Offset
TALK BACK MODIFICATION:
To add Talkback to your Galaxy Melaka , Locate D-80 inside the radio near the Audio Transformer. Cut one end of D-80.

conversion
#1 ~ Remove the Top and Bottom Cover's.

#2 ~ Notice on the Bottom side of the main board towards the Front there is a small Jumper wire soldered to the board. One end of the wire is soldered to Ground and the other end is soldered across 2 pins. Remove this wire and at the same time make sure that the 2 pins are no longer shorted together.

#3 ~ Re-install the Top & Bottom Cover's.
2b24_1.JPG
I believe that the Melaka uses the same board as the Superstar 3900. The 10 kc jump was done by cutting a jumper on the board, & using a spst switch. ...I put it on the back.

Reactions: Enterprise312ok

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.