• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

General Lee radio mod question.

bsmith0612

Feb 29, 2012
Hello all, please bear with me as this is my first post here.

I recently had the covers off my G.L. I was just looking inside, because my Meter light no longer works (older model, not blue) and i noticed i have 3 wires clipped... had anybody heard of this? there was (I BELIEVE) an orange, white, and green wire that were clipped. ive also seen some soldering been done to the radio board. there is a white label on the inside cover that has a past date, and peak and tune on it. but nothing about clipping wires. anybody have an idea?

Thanks in advance!

pics or it didn't happen

that is pretty much the response i was expecting. after all, how many wires are inside a radio, right? i will do my best to get pictures up tonight, i will be 2moro at the very latest. ill get pictures of the entire inside radio, the 3 wires i noticed, and also the soldering on the board that i believe is done aftermarket. anything else i should get pictures of?

also: This radio was like this when i purchased it. using my Cobra 148GTL, i heard a guy talking on the General Lee saying he was selling it. it sounded great, and i had to have it. i forget how much i paid for it. it wasnt a bad price though.

Yep, Along with the clipped wires and soldering work it would help to know if the radio is now doing or not doing something that it should do from factory condition.

Good luck

i own a lee and never heard of any mods that include clipping wires inside .

maybe they are wires from a control pot like the rf gain (do all the knobs up front do what they are supposed to do?)

or they could be from say the talkback switch?i disconnected my talkback switch because i used it to turn a toy on/off. but then i soldered my wires together and heatshrinked them .
so pictures are in order if you want further assistance .

as far as i know everything works as it should. could this possibly have something to do with converting it to CB frequencies? I will get pictures tonight though. Im really curious on what this is for. TB works, Hi/Lo works, mic gain, squelch, rf gain, volume/on/of (obviously) works, band selector works, +10K works i believe. i do not have a frequency counter to verify. this radio did have an amp ran with it also, but the low power is set to just under a 2 watt dead key, i believe.

(i could be completely WRONG with that statement, all i know is what ive read. never owned a radio like this one. all mine were bone stock)

If it ain't broke then don't fix it. More damage has been done to CB radios by breaking this rule.

Psycho, like i mentioned above, this was done when i got it. im just curious what it is that ive got my hands on.

as for pictures, im taking the cover off as i type this... should be up in 20 minutes or so.

You can get a new meter light and fix that but if it aint broke don't try to fix it. Do you know which shop did the work? If not then fix the meter and rock on.

You can get a new meter light and fix that but if it aint broke don't try to fix it. Do you know which shop did the work? If not then fix the meter and rock on.

i was for sure going to fix the meter light. but i know nothing more about whats been done to this radio than you. this is exactly how it was when i bought it. only clue is the label on the inside cover, which there will be a picture of.

as for the rest of it, id just like to know what i got goin on, ya know? make sure i dont have some crazy "My peak and tune will make your radio key over the entire channel" kinda thing, some Dr. Pete's peak and tune from his moms basement, or if i have something really done to it. editing pictures now, will be up very shortly (youll see what i mean by editing in a few minutes)

PICTURES ARE UP!

Here they are, folks!

Over-all view of the "Wire Side" of the radio
GLWireSideFullView.jpg

Here are the wires in question, from afar, and labeled.
GLClippedWiresDetail.jpg

Close up on one orange wire.
GLWireSide1.jpg

Close up on White and Green wires in same connector. (Molex connector I believe?)
GLWireSide2.jpg

Other "Wire Side" soldering I noticed that looked aftermarket. This is on the 3 pin power connector for Radio's main power.
GLWireSide4.jpg

As i clicked "Preview Post", i had found this also...

Yellow wire connected to red wire.
GLRedtoYellowconnectiondetail.jpg

Yellow wire goes to the white connector on the board, Red goes to the meter. The upper red one, if looking at the "Wire Side" of the board.
GLYellowwiretermination.jpg

^^ i have my finger on the red one. (i know there is two... if it is unclear and somebody wants further detail, i will provide it)

"Solder Side" pictures.

Overview, from afar, labeled.
I did this so you have reference as to where each picture was taken.
GLSolderSideFullView.jpg

#1 (these go to the Frequency Counter jack/plug on the back of the radio)
GLSolderSide1.jpg

Believe THIS is the conversion to CB frequencies.
GLSolderSide2.jpg

GLSolderSide3.jpg

On the back, by the large heat sink.
GLSolderSide4.jpg

Aftermarket resistor added? Maybe?
GLSolderSide5.jpg

and Finally, the label left from the CB shop.

Label.jpg

Hope these help!

Nothing looks off the wall in any of the pictures posted.
Picture # 2 is were the 4 resistor Were that was the CB mod, you are correct.
The rest looks factory to me.
Remember that the main board may be used in more than one radio model, so some thing`s may or may not be used/hooked up depending on the features that model has, so some changes are there.
The reverse polarity protection diode and cap on the power plug look factory.
The rest could very well be changes that occurred during different production runs.....
If you want to see if it has been "screw driver-ed" look for TR-32, If it is gone, or has one of the legs clipped, it is dis-abled.
Locate Resistor R-138
See if it has a Diode (usually a 1n4001) hooked in series with it. This is a common "swing Mod".
As Psycho said.
If it ain't broke then don't fix it.

Jeff

the cut wires on those connectors are probably cut at the factory .if anything important was cut from those connectors the radio would not operate properly.
the resistor on the solder side is a talkback mod ,makes the talkback more clear .
the yellow to red wire is suspect ,not sure what that is .

look to see if tr53 or tr32 is missing and if r249 has been cut .

tr53 is by the modulation vr in the rear .
tr32 is up front on the right with the radio knobs facing you .its under a clump of wires .

if any of the tr`s are missing i would replace them .
cutting r249 is pretty common and that opens up the modulation .

but like mentioned ,if it isnt broke ,dont try to fix it .and if you dont know what your doing inside a radio take it to a professional.

I have looked this radio board over and over. Ive found that TR-32 is missing. gone.

TR-53 is there, looks like it has never been touched.

as for the R-138 and R-249, can i have an approximate location of these? ive looked and looked, i must have overlooked it. either that, or it is under the large clump of wax like substance, right behind the channel selector board. theres a bunch or Resistors and Capacitors on the board there

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated