• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

General Lee technical questions.

Feb 27, 2011
Southern Vermont
I recently purchased a used but in the box General Lee. I have a perfect 1.2:1 match for SWR, and the radio works great; best one I ever owned.
The problem I have is when I plug the external speaker in, after a while it seems that some circuit overheats and I lose the sound. Even with the ex speaker unplugged, I turn the radio off for a while till it cools down I guess, and it's fine again. I bought a brand new speaker yesterday thinking my old one was bad...same exact deal. Any ideas?

One more question: This radio has SSB, but how do you clarify signals...where's the controls for that ???

It is sounding like the metal press tabs on the jack inside radio has spread out and is losing contact with the plug when plugged in. Same condition will cause the internal speaker not to work when you unplug the external. You can press (slightly bend) these metal tabs back into place with a small screwdriver or something. At least this is something easy to check.

And you must be mistaken about the sideband. G Lee's are AM/FM only. If the faceplate shows USB & LSB and it is in fact a G Lee....then the faceplate has been replaced with one off of a different radio. Can you post a picture for us?

Good luck!

im with wire weasel on this one. try wiggling the ext. speaker connector after the radio has gone quiet. see if that restores the volume.

if it does, the lack of contact is causing just enough resistance to quiet the sound without cutting it all the way out.

first thing to do is look at the solder side of the PC board where the speaker jack is mounted.

see if the solder joints have wiggled loose at all, and even if you cant see it, re-heat them and add some new solder to them.

then slightly bend the tab that connects to the center pin of the connector so that it makes better contact.

the General Lee does not have SSB. it is only AM and FM.
LC

Oh, my mistake guys...I was thinking it was SSB. That explains why there's no clarifier, eh? (LOL) Next mission is to find a frequency chart for this radio, to see where I can/can't go...any suggestions?

Thanx for the comebacks.

General Lee sound problem.

I narrowed my problem down to it being the excessive temperature produced from the defrosters, as the radio is mounted just above the ducts. Yesterday I ran the external speaker for 12 hours, with the defrosters not blasting hot air towards the radio, and never lost the sound at all from the receiver. Something doesn't like excessive ambient temperatures in a General Lee...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.