• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Golden Falcon Amp

Tweakin

Mar 27, 2009
Hey guys, My dad and i recently rescued a golden falcon amp, but were having issues with the king transistor circuit and the high voltage relay wiring, the last guy ripped into it and didnt know what he was doing

we're trying to figure this out but i can't locate a schematic for it or any information

There was quite a number of Golden Falcon Amps built, from the Small single sweep tube to Multiple Ceramics, A bit more details would be helpful.

Keying circuit is no problem, can just fix it up with a generic one, but past that, more details please.

I have a golden falcon 1x3x6 8908's and I need to know what kind of external transformer it uses. Any info at all please.

I have a golden falcon 1x3x6 8908's and I need to know what kind of external transformer it uses. Any info at all please.

The Anderson Golden Falcon used a voltage doubler circuit to develope the B+ volts for the tubes and, the GE 8950 tubes need about 900 volts on the plates to put out real watts.

A replacement transformer would have had to be custom wound and would have cost $325.00 plus tax and shipping from El Paso, Texas.

Peter.jpg

But, Pete isn't in business anymore and, the price for custom transformers are out the roof.

Go to eBay and look for a "Distribution Transformer" in the 2-3 KVA class. These transformers are used to step down 440 VAC to 110-220 VAC. Wire the transformer in "backwards", feed 110 volts into the "secondary" and then connect the output from the other side (440 VAC) to the voltage doubler circuit. The transformer will need to supply at least 2.0 amps CCS.

I picked up a Golden Falcon 1000 on ebay about 10 years ago and it didn't have the High voltake transformer with it. I got it for a song!
I looked at my options and decided to use 2 Palomar 300A transformers and I mounted them in an old Golden Falcon 400 base amp housing. The transformer in the 400 was shot so I scrapped it.
After firing up the 1000 with the 2 Palomar transformers, I quickly saw that 2 Palomar 300A Transformers were not enough. I now have 3 Palomar 300A Transformers in the external housing and that works perfectly. I just recently picked up another Golden Falcon to fix. it's a 1 driving 2 driving 4. Probably a 600 or 750. Not sure how Anderson rated them but they are rugged amps. Does anyone know if Andy Anderson built Kodiak amps too? I have a 5 tube Kodiak that runs really well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?