• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Good video explaining mobile antenna placement.

El Camino, kind of an odd vehicle shape with the bed being longer than the roof + hood, I'm thinking about mounting a 102 inch steel whip.

I watched the video, guess I'm going to put it "dead center" of the roof but more towards the bed.

Opinions, thoughts, concerns?
I looked for the EZNEC model of a 1980's El Camino & 1/4 wave vertical, no such luck. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I looked for the EZNEC model of a 1980's El Camino & 1/4 wave vertical, no such luck. :ROFLMAO:

Usually have to make your own. The way to do it is to create just basic flat grid patterns roughly the dimensions of the outside shell of the vehicle leaving holes where the windows are, remembering to make the bottom edge the height above the road the vehicle floor is. You're not going to be doing it with the free version. Something like this which someone made up for modelling a kite antenna using their vehicle, in this case a Jeep, as a counterpoise:

jeep%20yagi%20zoom.png

Reactions: LeapFrog and The DB
Usually have to make your own. The way to do it is to create just basic flat grid patterns roughly the dimensions of the outside shell of the vehicle leaving holes where the windows are, remembering to make the bottom edge the height above the road the vehicle floor is. You're not going to be doing it with the free version. Something like this which someone made up for modelling a kite antenna using their vehicle, in this case a Jeep, as a counterpoise:

jeep%20yagi%20zoom.png

That looks close to one I made, but I can tell it isn't the same model, there are fewer wires in those grids. It is very similar in many ways though. So their are others who have gone though the trouble of making said modeling objects. The patterns I got from it never looked quite like that. I'll have to look them for comparison purposes.

The DB

Reactions: LeapFrog
Here is the link to a thread I created over a year ago now with my Ford Explorer modeling object and antennas mounted at various locations on said object.

If the images don't come up at first, I just updated the DNS info for the new IP address where the files are actually stored. It might take it a bit to update, but they should be available again within the next day or so.

I would love to know what the person who created that pattern M0GVZ posted did to get such drastically different patterns than what I got...

The DB

Reactions: Robb
I would love to know what the person who created that pattern M0GVZ posted did to get such drastically different patterns than what I got...

The DB

They were modelling a kite antenna that was a half wavelength long, not a mobile/CB antenna which is why there would be such a drastic difference.

The patterns I got from it never looked quite like that. I'll have to look them for comparison purposes.

DB, I can make a model with a pattern like the one M0GVZ shows, but right off all I think I can remember is it is Azimuth over Perfect Ground type. Here is a model but I don't get the sharp definition for the directional quality he does.

Attachments

• Mobile pattern over Perfect Earth.pdf
    164.8 KB · Views: 2
DB, I can make a model with a pattern like the one M0GVZ shows, but right off all I think I can remember is it is Azimuth over Perfect Ground type. Here is a model but I don't get the sharp definition for the directional quality he does.

The pattern you got is more of what I would expect. He actually answered my question on it...

They were modelling a kite antenna that was a half wavelength long, not a mobile/CB antenna which is why there would be such a drastic difference.

The DB

OK, but the pattern I posted was a front mounted whip? So what made the pattern on my model look like it was on the ground like his pattern showed us...instead of what we might typically expect? There has to be something else going on in his image and mine too for that matter.

I get the kit would be high and possibly make the directional pattern look much sharper, but what puts it flat like that? I seem to remember my model was in the weeds and that is probably why I kept the image in a junk folder.

I haven't found the model yet and I'm not sure what I did to the settings, if anything, to get it to look like that. There is modeling software out there that produces patterns differently. An-Sof does funny things with their patterns, but I think they are trying to impress us like a Peacock does to the all the girls.

El Camino, kind of an odd vehicle shape with the bed being longer than the roof + hood, I'm thinking about mounting a 102 inch steel whip.

I watched the video, guess I'm going to put it "dead center" of the roof but more towards the bed.

Opinions, thoughts, concerns?
6in. forward of the rear of cab 2009 ram crew cab, 4in. Breadlove mount. cab, Everything bonded, worked very well, 102 whip and sirio 5000 as well. Photos on here some place can't remember which thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeapFrog

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.