• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Grant export

Joe S.

Mar 15, 2010
Left coast USA
Hi everyone,
I'm a new member, thank you for this forum.
About 8 years ago a coworker gave me this President Grant Export radio. I have not played with radios in some 30 years, so I did not have an antenna, and like a MORON loaded it with a light bulb, and made it not work. Stupid !, so I put it back in it's box (yes it is still a very clean radio), and now I want to make it work.
I have removed and tested the finals, they are fine, also the driver, ditto. I can make the radio key by touching the mixer IC pin 2, or the mixer transformer with a test probe or my finger (assuming the mic is keyed). When it keys, it is definitely making wattage, compared to a couple of other radios I have here, using a field strength meter.

This radio has a large heatsink on the finals, factory AM FM SSB Factory Roger Beep, Factory 3 lever power switch, unlike USA model radios.

Does anyone have a clue, from past experience maybe, as to why it only keys as described above?
Thanks for your time
JS
EDIT: Radio is like the one Hammer shows in this thread: http://www.worldwidedx.com/export-radios/45087-president-grant-frequency-modulation.html

Last edited:

Does the radio work on SSB? One thing about the radio is that the low, mid, high is not power settings but frequencies. The low is 40 channels below the regular 40, mid is the regular 40 CB channels, and the high setting is 40 channels above channel 40.
Do you have a wattmeter? You need to be able to tell if there is any output from the radio rather than another radio setting beside it. Is the radio keying, LED on front panel changing colors? There are several things that can cause a no power output condition. Some voltage checks are in order. Usually these are pretty tough radios and if you did not key it long into a light bulb you should be able to find the problem.
The DX Grant is one of the best radios out there IMO. They are working on being 30+ years old but are still great performers. Try the link below for some info.

President Grant DX

Does the radio work on SSB? One thing about the radio is that the low, mid, high is not power settings but frequencies. The low is 40 channels below the regular 40, mid is the regular 40 CB channels, and the high setting is 40 channels above channel 40.
Do you have a wattmeter? You need to be able to tell if there is any output from the radio rather than another radio setting beside it. Is the radio keying, LED on front panel changing colors? There are several things that can cause a no power output condition. Some voltage checks are in order. Usually these are pretty tough radios and if you did not key it long into a light bulb you should be able to find the problem.
The DX Grant is one of the best radios out there IMO. They are working on being 30+ years old but are still great performers. Try the link below for some info.

President Grant DX
Hello Bionic Chicken,
I have an SWR meter, no watt meter, waiting on a coax jumper to hook it up. Red xmit light comes on when keyed, but no RF to speak of, unless I touch the SO42P mixer circuit, then Power comes up, my computer screams from it's speakers and the field strength meter pegs. Like I said, or implied I have not been into CB for 30 years, so I am missing a few items, either the airwaves got quieter in LaLa land or this antenna I have (mobile antenna indoors) really has no ears, it matches pretty good according to the internal swr meter on another rig, though I wouldn't take that to the bank either.
I am leaning in the direction, of a mis tuned osc. or a bad mixer can, I am thinking putting my finger or my F/Counter probe in there is allowing those stages to couple.
So the High Low Mid switch is, what do they call them . . . Funnys then? I just ordered a beat up US model grant (FleaBay), I hope it is similar enough to get some ideas from it, IE resistance comparisons, voltage etc. . . The sams I ordered is the really early Grant, Have to order the late one, Have found Schematic on the internet. I may well get disgusted and take it to the shop, I think there's one in Yucaipa. Long way to go in my 62 Econoline P/U though. It just might be this radio had problems, and that's why it was given to me, I really do not know it history. It appears unmodified, I think someone has tried to tune it though.
I appreciate your comments.
Thanks
JS

Follow up:
Thanks Bionic Chicken for the info. you sent me.

I have President Grant's Bootprints all up by backside !
I found a cold solder joint, fixed it and viola it transmits, but has NO ears. Lots of hiss on FM, mouse quiet on AM/SSB, if I touch the detector I get the local AM news station, nothing through the antenna, tried the tuneup procedures on CB tricks to no avail, ugh except it stopped transmitting:LOL: again !:oops: I gotta get a signal generator as my "function generator" didn't have the AF signal to align receivers.

You will have to have a signal generator and freq counter to do the alignment. You really can't do it without them. That may be why you don't have any receive and the xmit went away. You can get by on some other radios without them but on this one you really can't.
Hopefully you didn't try to do the PLL and Carrier Oscillator alignment as this can really mess up both if not done correctly and with the proper equipment.

You will have to have a signal generator and freq counter to do the alignment. You really can't do it without them. That may be why you don't have any receive and the xmit went away. You can get by on some other radios without them but on this one you really can't.
Hopefully you didn't try to do the PLL and Carrier Oscillator alignment as this can really mess up both if not done correctly and with the proper equipment.
I have a Function generator (wavetec) a scope (Tektronix's) and 2 frequency counters (HP) God bless eBay ! The thing is, my function generator does not seem capable of modulating the signal. I have ordered parts, I am going to replace all the Electrolytic caps before going any farther, seems reasonable for a radio this old, I just acquired another one, spent last night performing surgery removing Echo, talkback and a host of butchery, installed Schottky diodes, they really helped reduce the hiss, Damn, radio still works :D ! it even modulates in the forward direction. Trying to negotiate a deal on some 2SC2999 transistors with a fellow in Hong Kong, success soon I hope.
Here is the free version:
http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/president/grant_dx/graphics/pc999_grantdx_sch.pdf

and if you want to pay $29.95, here is something closer to a Sams photofact:
Export CB Radio Service Manuals

you want the Uniden export radio service manual (PC999).
I will check that out ! Thanks. If I am going to work on them I should have them.

I think I will build a 1kc oscillator to modulate my FG's output, that way I can hear the signal in the radio. I am no stranger to electronics, but have not been involved in radio's in about 30 years. The channels seem much quieter here in La La land, than they were then, I guess the internet, cell phones etc have taken the pressure off the airwaves somewhat.

Last edited:
Here is the free version:
http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/president/grant_dx/graphics/pc999_grantdx_sch.pdf

and if you want to pay $29.95, here is something closer to a Sams photofact:
Export CB Radio Service Manuals

you want the Uniden export radio service manual (PC999).
Follow up: Hi Dr_DX,
$80.95 got me the 3 tech vol tec. special, + $40 odd through eBay got his : UNDERSTANDING & REPAIRING CB RADIOS,
I already have his PLL book, soon I will be "Book Smart" and "Butt Stupid !"

Ha Ha, I just got a message from a seller who sold me one of these export radios trying to back out of the sale saying the radio is making a crackling noise, I told him to ship it as is and I will fix it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated