• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GW Instek GRG450B RF Signal Generator

Onelasttime

Aug 3, 2011
So I was going to buy a used one off of Ebay for $79 then I found a place that has 4 NOS for $160.

It is a close clone of the BK Precision 2005B. I do know if BK Precision made them for them doubtful. More likely they made the BK Precision Line for BK and their own house brand in Taiwan on the same assembly line. They are a few differences between them but they could easily be kissing cousins.

In the past, they retailed between $299 and $239.

I am not working on radar units, microwave transmission sites or any other such nonsense where I need $1200-$4000 unit.

Before I ordered my unit this morning they had 4 listed for sale so that is not 3 available for sale. Early bird get's the worms! LOL

I had the digital version of that signal generator. In fact I still have one. By digital it has a LED readout on the front and it is useless for CB radio work it drifts all over the place. I would love some other comments on this if any one else has used one. I was going to use the one I have to put a 1K tone in to the microphone socket of a radio for testing.

another CB radio and a 1K tone generator is much cheaper, and more stable than one of those things.
If you are working on CB radios, that's all you need until you step up to something with a calibrated output.
LC

Reactions: Robb
I thought about that too. Yes a single and double tone audio tone generator is simple to build from your junk drawer parts.

I do not know what I will be working on in the future.

I am sure that with some warm up and some tweaking it will be usable. I have used similar units from the 1950 and 1960's. If I figure out any tricks to get it stable I will post about it.

Most of these type of units need to be running a while to settle down. True all of this kind of generator have drift issues. Millions of this type of RF Generator has been sold for decades all over the earth.

In fact I have seen similar types of units with NASA tags on them in Surplus! LOL I shudder to think what they where doing with them! LOL

Want a good laugh at NASA's expense???

Had one of those same sig gens. Didn't stay on freq at all and no way to adjust the output with any certainty of it staying put. Ended up giving it to a friend. Guess its better than no generator; but not by very much - IMO. Got a Hp 8656B to replace it and never had to look back - does everything with accuracy and is dependable. Of course I paid 3x more than you did; but in hindsight it was worth it. I'm sure you'll figure this all out yourself in a short time.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.